WCW Saturday Night - Saturday, 02/06/99
WCW Saturday Night - Saturday, 02/06/99
Lash wins!! Lash wins!!!
- Welcome to Saturday Night! Tonight's main event is La Parka vs. Bam Bam Bigelow
- Another uncharacteristically large mailbag:
- Many people wrote in to identify Hogan's biker buddy as Oz star
Chuck Zito. Here's one from A.C.:
Hogan's biker buddy is Chuck Zito, as I am sure you've probably found out by
now. This actually bothers me because I like Zito. He's the guy who is
president of the Hell's Angels and is always on the Howard Stern show. He
also beat up Jean Claude Van Damme at Score's last year, and gave a great
interview about it on the Stern show. JCVD if you recall, showed up to be
Goldberg's bodyguard a few weeks ago. I love a celebrity plot twist. Zito
is actually a real life tough guy. It's really bumming me out, because if
Zito is with Hogan, I may actually have to give Hogan some props.
- Obi-Wan Jabroni writes:
a) Where's Lodi? Did he like, die when Barry Darsow laid him out with
the clubs in his last appearance (WCWSN)? Speaking of which, whatever
became of Raven's new angle with Sandman and Chastity? It's been too
long since we've seen Raven (or Kanyon, for that matter) work a
b) It's good to see Hennig back in action, even if it is with OTHBW
(Over the Hill Barry Windham).
c) So, when exactly are Konnan and Rey gonna start referring to
themselves as the "new" LWO...and will Art Flores and Hector Garza be
d) Is it me, or does Parka do more "hanging around" in taped bits then
e) So, Norton squashed Kitty B. Badd, and Nash still gets his
pops...are we back to the heel/face NWO of old (the one that WWF
emulated with DeGeneration X)? Or was that Norton match just a case of
f) When Hall and Flair had their little exchange, I got excited for a
possible Flair/Hall match...but I guess having the "president" of WCW
have a *real* heart attack in the ring would be bad for business and
- 'Ubiqtorate Commander' asks:
Did you notice that Michael 'Not Vinnie Mac' Buffer referred to
Benoit's finishing move as the Cripple Crossface?
And how red Kitty B. Bad's chest was after Norton did his Ric Flair
impression? Damn, Norton must be of the "forgets to pull punches"
school of wrestling. If WCW really wants a big strong guy with no
mike skills in the Horsemen why not use Scott? At least he can do a
knife edge chop and has the totally pissed off expression down
- 'Jsadom' observes:
Further evidence that the "60s bug" has really gotten
to Van Hammer's head, the former Flock member inadvertantly threw the water in
his Evian bottle all over the camera and cameraman on his way down to the
ring. To prove that he's not all gone, Hammer did manage a lame "whoops" as a
consolation to the cameraman and to the fans. It was hard to see at first
because the water is clear but if you look for it, it's plain as
- Finally, 'lstarr3' accuses me:
Surely a guy named Jesse reporting on a Nitro coming out of Minnessota would
know that Bret Hart's MadTV victim was a guy dressed as Gov. Jesse "The
Mind" Ventura? During the attack, Bret even referred to the Gov. by his
real-life last name, something like Janos. I smell a ploy for
- Barry Darsow vs. Mike Enos
- Before Darsow can offer his challenge, Enos boots Barry and sends him down with a lariat.
- Enos continues with a headbutt, slam, and a reverse neckbreaker.
- Darsow flees outside, where he manages to land an axehandle to take control.
- Darsow sends Enos into the steps, then back in.
- Enos lands a double sledge and a couple of shoulders.
- Darsow rakes Mike's eyes, then suplexes him.
- Enos quickly shoulders Darsow, but Barry lands a drop toe hold.
- Enos slams Darsow, who falls in the corner.
- Enos takes advantage by posting Darsow between the legs.
- Back in, Enos is distracted by the ref, and Darsow takes advantage by nailing him with a putter.
- Darsow pins Enos for the win.
- Scott and Mike ramble.
- Hector Garza vs. Meng (w/ Jimmy Hart and Barbarian)
- Meng no-sells Hector's initial flurry.
- Garza lands a leg sweep, then elbows Hart on the rail.
- Meng chops Garza then slams him down.
- Meng leg drops Garza then sends him out, where the Barbarian lands the Kick of Fear.
- Back in, Meng lands the Tongan Death Grip on Garza for the win.
- Hotline plug
- Buddy Lee Parker vs. Fit Finlay
- Finlay lands a shoulder to begin.
- Parker boots Finlay, then sweeps his legs.
- Finlay slams Parker, then kicks him around and sends his jaw into the apron.
- Finlay clotheslines Parker, lands a fireman's carry rollthrough slam, then sends him outside.
- Back in, Parker slams Finlay, then lands an axehandle off the ropes onto Finlay.
- Parker lands a kneedrop from the top, but Finlay kicks out of a pin attempt.
- Finlay lands a quick boot, then Tombstones Parker for the win.
- Damian vs. Chris Jericho (w/ Ralphus)
- Jericho rips up a fan's poster of Ralphus as a Southpark character at ringside.
- Damian lands a shoulder, then a springboard armdrag.
- Damian falls across the ropes, where Jericho dropkicks him.
- Jericho suplexes Damian, then lands a Lionsault.
- Jericho quickly ends things with the Liontamer.
- Ralphus hands Jericho Saturn's red dress. Jericho puts it on Damian.
- Saturn runs in, chasing Jericho away. Saturn kicks Damian then rips off the dress.
- Gene chats with the First Family. Meng and Barbarian actually speak English in this segment.
- Glacier vs. Al Green
- Glacier begins with a leg sweep, but both are flattened by a double clothesline.
- Glacier continues with kicks and punches.
- Green rolls up Glacier.
- Glacier kicks out and clotheslines Green.
- Glacier lands more boots, then suplexes Green.
- Glacier continues with a leg drop and slam.
- Glacier misses a leg drop, but still dropkicks Green.
- Green fights back with a splash and a backdrop.
- Green lands a shoulderblock.
- Green pins Glacier! That's an upset!
- They show Bret
Clark Hart beating up a Jesse Ventura look-alike on Mad
- Nitro highlights
- Dave Taylor vs. Perry Saturn
- Saturn begins with a leg drop on Taylor's arm.
- Taylor counters with an arm drag.
- Saturn lands a few boots.
- Taylor counters with some rest holds.
- Saturn lands more boots.
- Taylor sweeps Saturn's legs.
- As Taylor pounds Saturn, some smoke is released. Either the OWN is making a comeback or somebody backstage messed up.
- Saturn boots Taylor, then tucks his head in the dress and nails him.
- Saturn slams Taylor, then lands a frog splash.
- Saturn lands the DVD for the win.
- Gene chats with Bam Bam Bigelow about his match with Goldberg
- Nitro highlights
- Lash LeRoux vs. Lenny Lane
- It's the battle of the Double L's. Now only if Lex Luger were involved...
- Lash shoves down Lenny, then rolls him up.
- Lenny kicks out, then rolls up Lash.
- Lash kicks out, but is sent outside by Lenny.
- Lenny lands a crossbody onto Lash outside.
- Lash sends Lenny across the rails.
- Lash then hops on the rail and lands a headscissors takeover on Lenny onto the mat. Rad!
- Back in, Lash lands a boot and some punches.
- Lash does his split, then lariat combo.
- Lash covers Lenny while he signals "LL" with his hands.
- Lenny catches Lash in the corner and sends him down face first.
- Hudson and Tenay starting praising Lash.
- Lenny lands a crossbody, but Lash rolls through.
- Lash lands a suplex.
- Lenny rakes Lash's eyes, but Lash recovers and lands the fireman's carry slam.
- Lash covers Lenny. One...two...THREE! Lash wins, Lash wins, Lash wins!
- Hotline plug
- Barry Horowitz vs. Hugh Morrus (w/ Jimmy Hart)
- Morrus shoves Horowitz, who fires back with knees and a jawbreaker.
- Morrus lands a shoulder and a headbutt.
- Hart chokes Barry, then Morrus clotheslines him and suplexes him.
- Morrus lands three splashes in the corner.
- Morrus finishes the quick squash with the No Laughing Matter.
- Disorderly Conduct vs. Curt Hennig and Barry Windham
- This match is not part of the tag team tournament.
- Hennig gets elbowed by Mean Mike, but fires back with chops.
- Mean Mike gets in a few shots, then tags Tough Tom.
- Tom lands an axehandle, then tags Mike.
- Hennig lands a lariat, then tags Windham.
- Tough Tom is tagged in, only to get boots and a lariat from Barry.
- Hennig is back in, landing a boot.
- Hudson goes over Windham and Hennig's career, even mentioning Hennig's AWA Tag Title with Hall.
- Mean Mike and Windham are now in.
- Windlam lands a lariat, then tags Hennig, who helps with a double lariat.
- Windham is tagged back in, landing another lariat.
- Hennig is tagged back in. He and Windham land a double whip and a double elbow on Mike.
- Hennig finishes things off with the Perfectplex.
- Gene chats with Vince
- Thunder highlights
- La Parka vs. Bam Bam Bigelow
- La Parka spits in Bam Bam's face and struts.
- Bam Bam flattens Parka with a lariat.
- La Parka lands a boot, but Bam Bam elbows him.
- La Parka drop toe holds Bam Bam into the corner.
- Bam Bam lands a powerbomb.
- Bam Bam splashes Parka in the corner.
- Bam Bam slams La Parka down.
- La Parka responds with a DDT.
- Bam Bam slams Parka, then offers him Greetings from Asbury Park.
- Bam Bam gives him another dose of Greetings.
- Bam Bam pins La Parka, then carries him off to end the show.