WCW Thursday Thunder, 06/18/98
WCW Thunder - Thursday, 06/18/98
Disco Inferno: "That's going to stunt your growth"
- Trivia Question: Which of these men was not a man that Arn Anderson defeated for NWA/WCW World Television Title? Great Muta, Tom Zenk, Johnny B. Badd, Steve Regal Answer at the end of the report.
- If you have access to the July, 1998 issue of Details magazine, you should definitely check it out. As part of her column on Sex and Sports, Anka was backstage at Superbrawl VIII. It's a great article that, believe it or not, shows respect for professional wrestling...as only Anka can do.
- The mailbag:
- From Dave:
I was halfheartedly watching the People's Court yesterday, and they were doing this bit when they ask people at a remote location about what they
thought the outcome was. I noticed one heavy looking fellow wearing sunglasses and a DDP shirt start going on about how he thought the defendant was a "connected man." Then his buddy did a Kliq hand sign
and they faded off.
- As you've probably figured out, I was at the IPWA show where Buddy Landel won their World Heavyweight Title. I cannot overstate what I great time I had. Tickets were only $10 in advance, $12 at the door. We got there about 40 minutes prior to the show and were able to get third row seats. The actual wrestling was as good as anything you'll see in WCW, probably the only "difference" being that the guys are not superhuman size...rather than being larger than life like a Lex Luger or Scott Norton, most of the guys are built like Disco Inferno or Saturn.
But, with a crowd of maybe 200 or so, it's a great event and you're right in on the action. I mean, where else can you tell a guy he sucks, and have him tell you your mother taught him? As for the IPWA specifically, they'll be having a show in Chincoteaque on 8/22, and will be returning to the Secret Cove in Alexandria where Buddy will be defending his belt on September 12th. In addition to the regular IPWA stars, Stevie Richards and the Pit Bulls will be on the card. I know I'll be there.
And, if you don't live in the Northern Virginia area, I encourage you to check out your local independent wrestling scene. Low ticket prices, great seats, you can't beat it. As for me, I'm hooked.
- Speaking of indy wrestling in Virginia, if anyone is going to be in the Southwest Virginia area this Saturday, stop by the Chilhowie High School Baseball field in Chilhowie VA between the hours of 10am and 3pm to meet and get autographs from NWA star, the "All American" Alex Shane, local indy star "Trooper" Tony Richardson, and Jimmy "The Boogie Woogie Man" Valiant!
Any questions regarding this matter should go to Mick Yarber.
- As for this Ric Flair thing, as always in situations like this, I have absolutely no clue what's going on.
- I've seen this posted in a number of places, and also credited to a number of people, so my apologies to the original author. However, I had to post this because I think everyone should see it. It's only funny if you ever saw the WWF Attitude commercial (which, imho, was one of the greatest commercials of all time). It's a takeoff on it, and it's a WCW Attitude commercial:
Chavo: I know what you're thinking.
Kidman: I'm not a real wrestler.
Benoit: I'm just a jobber.
Glacier: My entrance is 6 minutes and 10 seconds long.
Chris Adams: I'm from Britian!
Horowitz: Played football in my backyard.
Eaton: I should've retired and moved to Florida.
Benoit: I lost three PPV title matches in a row.
Armstrong: When you step through those ropes, bad things do happen.
Flynn: I had over 200 losses.
Duggan: Seems like I had 2 dozen concussions.
Hugh Morris: I have no home.
Horowitz: Jobbed to Horace Boulder.
Charles Austin: I DID break by neck!
Shockmaster: Lost my helmet.
Riggs: But I still got pinned!
Neidhart: This is who I am.
Hugh Morris: Losing is what I do.
Benoit: I'm not really a wrestler?
Vincent: This doesn't pay for my meals?
Saturn: You try making Goldberg look good.
- We are live from the Spectrum in Philadelphia.
- Tonight, Mongo returns to the ring and Goldberg will be here. Also, they'll be talking about Macho's injury, which is putting his career in jeopardy.
- Wolfpack in the house!!! Konan, and the director of recruiting, Lex Luger, come to the ring.
- Konan's wearing a cape.
- Konan does his bowdy-bowdy schtick and gives the microphone to Luger.
- Luger wants to get something off his chest.
- Luger says there's guys in the back that think that if they wear the right clothes, wrestle on TV, and carry a cell phone and pager, they are big-time players in this business.
- Luger means "Hogan and all the suck-ups that surround him".
- The only reason Hogan is a big star is because the fans decided he was a big star.
- Luger drops Goldberg's name to get himself a cheap pop.
- While Hogan was off filming a movie, the Wolfpack got together, and Hogan's trying to divide them.
- Hogan's scheming with Bischoff to sink the Wolfpack, but the fans have decided that the power resides with the Wolfpack.
- So, Hogan can hang out with all the basketball players he wants, but it won't work.
- Luger ends it with saying that the Wolfpack is "too sweet".
- I guess that was supposed to be a shoot interview. Whatever.
- Wow, that was delivered by the wrong guy. Nash should have given that speech. It just didn't fit with Luger.
- It's official: Bash at the Beach, Hogan and Rodman vs. DDP and Malone. Man, is that match ever going to suck. They had a press conference today, which we'll see on Nitro.
- Macho Man's leg is broken. They show, in slow motion, the "kick by Eric Bischoff that broke Macho Man's leg". Macho's out indefinitely.
- They replay the attack from Monday. The guy laying on the ground when Nash went back to raise the cage was the technician that had been attacked by Vincent.
- Steve "Mongo" McMichael vs. "Mean" Mike Enos
- Mongo was out due to the broken arm at the hands of Davey Boy Smith.
- Sign: "Hogan Fears My Sack".
- Enos goes right to work on the bad arm.
- Mongo comes back with clothesline.
- Three-point tackle, attempted tombstone, but Enos counters with a kneelift.
- Enos gets Mongo down, two-count only.
- Enos gets some shots in, Mongo no-sells.
- Tombstone, 1-2-3, Mongo is your winner.
- Mongo gives the international symbol for the Four Horsemen.
- Mongo grabs someone's sign and holds it up, but the cameras cut away.
- Here comes the Flock...
- Raven says, in his own way, that Saturn was a malignancy, a tumor, on the Flock.
- Raven grabs Reese and tells Reese that he must bring Raven the U.S. Title tonight.
- Raven then slumps in the corner claiming that he carried Saturn and how Saturn let the Flock down.
- Raven says that all he asked of Saturn was that he beat Kanyon. Not only did he not do that, but Saturn wrapped his hands around Raven's throat. That broke Raven's heart. Awwww...
- Saturn stalks to the ring.
- Saturn says he's through with Raven.
- The Flock jumps Saturn. Saturn breaks free and decks Raven.
- The Flock grabs Saturn again and Kanyon comes out and attacks Raven.
- Saturn and Kanyon clear the ring and then go nose-to-nose.
- Saturn storms off with Kanyon standing there in a "What the hell?" position.
- Goldberg montage, with the heat machine chanting "Goldberg".
- David "Fit" Finley vs. "The Candyman" Brad Armstrong
- Oh, man, they're claiming Goldberg is 100-0. From what I understand, it's more like 105-0.
- Before even the first headlock, people in the crowd are chanting "Boring".
- Finley with all the early offense, Armstrong comes back with a powerslam and belly-to-back. Two-count only.
- Armstrong with the arm bar rest hold.
- Finley flicks his sweat on Armstrong. Nice.
- Finley jaws with the humanoids.
- What's the big delay here?
- Finley suckerpunches Armstrong.
- Finley with a snapmare and chinlock. Finley's softening up the neck for the piledriver.
- Armstrong powers out but Finley comes back with a slam and a stomp.
- Finley goes to the well once too often and Armstrong catches him for a slam.
- Finley catches Armstrong coming off the top, which leads to the tombstone. 1-2-3 and Fit Finley is your winner.
- WCW Motorsports. I think the WCW car's biggest accomplishment this week was starting on the first try.
- I just heard from Wade, the Saturday Night guy. Check out the picture and caption on his main page for a laugh.
- Big Tobacco w/Vincent vs. Disco Inferno
- Disco Inferno goes to the announcing booth first to tell the announcers to do their job and announce that Disco Inferno is the new icon.
- Giant comes out smoking.
- Once again, Giant's too busy smoking to wrestle.
- Disco starts giving Big Tobacco a hard time and Giant just levels Disco with a clothesline.
- It's all but over, Giant with a tremendous chokeslam...and Disco is not a small guy.
- Giant gets a smoke from Vincent, flips the ashes on Disco, and puts his foot on Disco for the pin.
- Giant goes back to the dressing room smoking.
- Arrrgh!!! Schiavone misuses the word "literally" again. He says the match was "literally" a cakewalk. Grrrr.
- Schiavone interviews Malenko. Malenko says one of my favorite phrases "The belt doesn't make the wrestler, the wrestler makes the belt". Malenko promises he's going to take the belt back.
- IWGP Tag Team Champions Tenzan and Chono defend their belts against Davey Boy Smith and Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart.
- The champs pitch Neidhart out of the ring to start the match and work on Davey Boy Smith. Smith eventually comes back.
- Boy, I thought the Nitro in D.C. sucked live...this must be twice as bad live.
- Niedhart comes in and starts getting doubleteamed. Man, if I wasn't writing this report, I'd be packing my bag for the gym right now instead of watching this match.
- Bulldog's tagged in. Bulldog gives Tenzan the running powerslam.
- Chono makes the save by nailing Bulldog with the belt. The champs are disqualified and keep the belts.
- Neidhart makes the save on Davey Boy Smith, in case anyone cares.
- Schiavone interviews Rick Rude. Rude talks about how Hennig is going to beat Goldberg. A "Goldberg" chant starts and then cuts off abruptly. Hmmmm, a pre-recorded chant, maybe?
- Konan vs. "Das Blunderpinned" Alex Wright
- Alex Wright gets the early advantage and really puts it to Konan.
- Konan gets the knees up as Wright comes off the turnbuckles.
- Konan starts putting it to Wright with his usual offense.
- Rick Rude comes out with a microphone and distracts Konan and that gives Wright an opening and he takes over.
- Konan comes back with roll up, clothesline, and pancake.
- Konan pins Wright with a weird rollup that Tenay doesn't have a name for.
- Replays of Hogan and "Rodzilla". The live crowd must be thrilled....
- For you readers in Richmond, WCW is doing a house show on Sunday, June 21st.
- "Crippler" Chris Benoit vs. Eddie Guerrero
- Eddie comes out looking sad. The announcers say he's been despondent since his loss to Chavo.
- Sign: "Yo Quiero Eddie Guerrero"
- Benoit stomps a mudhole early.
- Bill Apter is taking photos at ringside.
- Eddie comes back throwing Benoit into the turnbuckles and a giving a dropkick to the back of the head.
- Eddie continues to work on Benoit.
- Eddie nails a springboard head scissors. Two-count only.
- Eddie starts to go to work on the left knee.
- Double German Suplex by Benoit.
- Benoit misses the flying headbutt.
- Eddie misses the frog splash.
- Eddie gets a sleeper and Benoit reverses it into a Crippler Crossface. Eddie taps out!
- Benoit spits into the camera and leaves.
- Chavo comes out and starts talking gibberish.
- Eddie says he doesn't need this and walks off. Chavo says Eddie is still his favorite wrestler.
- The Public Enemy vs. Riggs and Sick Boy
- WCW U.S. Heavyweight Champion Goldberg defends his title against Reese
- Schiavone mentions that Goldberg will be wrestling at the July 6th Nitro, but doesn't mention that he will (supposedly) be wrestling Hogan. Personally, I'd rather see Goldberg bury Ultimate Warrior.
- Schiavone claims Goldberg has never been interviewed on Nitro or Thunder. That's technically true, but he's been interviewed on WCWSN.
- To start the match, Horace nails Goldberg with the stop sign and Goldberg nails him back. The stop sign almost went flying into the crowd. That would not have been good.
- Reese puts a big suplex on Goldberg, but Goldberg no-sells.
- Spear, jackhammer, 1-2-3.
- Er, that's it.
- Dark matches:
- Kidman vs. Kanyon: Kanyon with the Reverse Russian Leg Sweep
- Saturn vs. Raven: Raven after numberous interferences
- Luger vs. Giant: Luger after a lariat.
- Trivia Answer: Steve Regal
- One last thing. I don't usually send out individual "hellos" in my Thunder report, since only one person will appreciate it and approximately 3499 won't. However, in this case I'll make an exception because all the WCW fans will understand what I mean.
To my good buddy, and you know who you are, we're all hoping that tonight...you get what Bret Hart got. ;-)
- Er, that's it.