Results from the Charleston, SC - Profiles In Pain, PPL - 05/02/98
Results from the Charleston, SC - Profiles In Pain, PPL - 05/02/98
by Alan G. from Charleston, SC
S.J. sends the following arena report:
- 1st match: Yugi Nagata (w/o Sonny Ono) vs. Ernest Miller
- Miller was the face here, mostly mat wrestling, and there was little heat
throughout the match. Miller won with a side kick.
- Winner: Ernest Miller
- 2nd match: The Barbarian (w/o Jimmy Hart) vs. Bobby Eaton
- Eaton got a decent pop coming out (my guess is because everyone remembers
him from the Midnight Express). Very slow in the early going but things
picked up when a chair shot was teased between the two. Mark Curtis
interfered, though. Bobby hit a nice swinging neck breaker and tried to do a
knee drop from the top, but the Barbarian put a foot up. The Barbarian then
hit the kick of fear, and his setup looked like Shawn Michaels because he
stomped his foot.
- Winner: Barbarian
- 3rd match: Kidman and Sick Boy vs. High Voltage
- Kidman said: "Coming down to the ring I see people who have no teeth, chew
tobacco, and have beer bellies. And that's just the women. I know every
trailer park is empty tonight. Anyways, since you people stole from your
welfare checks to come here, I'll make this match quick." THAT got the
crowd upset. High Voltage came out and charged the ring. Kidman got pounded
on early, but Sick Boy weakend the other team. Rage hit a nice variety of suplexes. Kidman was going to sit down on a chair in the aisle, but Doug Dillinger grabbed it from under him. It was
pretty funny. Anyhow, Kaos was getting pummeled, but made the hot tag and Rage cleaned house. High Voltage won when Kaos lifted Kidman like he was going to gorilla press slam him, but he
dropped him on Rage's knee, like a gut buster.
- Winner: High Voltage
- 4th match: Perry Saturn vs. Fit Finlay
- Finlay was the heel in this one. It was a see-saw match for the most part.
Saturn won when he did a Spiccoli Driver on Fit.
- Winner: Saturn
- 15 minute intermission
- By the way, I had brought signs. They were:
There were no smarts in the place except me.
- Hogan Fears Jobbing
- Syxx Fears Fed-Ex
- Free Ric Flair (saw it on TV)
- Smarts Sit Here
- Where is Evad?
- Where is Oz?
- 5th match: Chris Benoit vs. Booker T. for the TV title
- Both competitors got large pops. Slow in the early going, but picked up
later. Benoit did some Flair chops, which prompted some Whoo's from the
crowd. Benoit hit a killer German suplex on Booker T. He then executed his
diving headbutt, but only got a 2 count. Booker T. was coming back, though.
Booker T. tried a Harlem Side Kick but Benoit pulled Mark Curtis in front of
him. Curtis did duck the kick though, but he was cowering on the ground
protecting himself. Booker went to see if he was alright, but Benoit slapped
the Crippler Crossface from behind and won.
- Winner and NEW TV champ: Chris Benoit
- 6th match: Raven vs. DDP
- DDP got the loudest pop of the night. The match was Raven's rules. DDP used
on of those big orange cones on Raven. DDP kicked out of Raven's DDT. He
then hit the Diamond Cutter for the 1-2-3.
- Winner: DDP
- 7th match: The Giant vs. Kevin Nash
- Nash comes out to the Fugees Ready Or Not. Nash gets a mike and says "Yo,
it's time for a survey. You know the drill. Are you here for WCW? (mixed
reaction). Or are you here for the...(crowd says N...W...O). I knew I loved
- Both guys were wearing each other down. Nash has the Giant in powerbomb
postition, but the Giant runs him into the turnbuckle. Nash is leaning on
the ropes, with his back facing the ring. The Giant is going to get him, but
Nash kicks him in the groin. The ref DQs Nash. A lot of boos are coming
from the crowd, so Nash powerbombs the ref (who is, by the way, the blonde
on who looks like Zach Morris). Nash leaves, and the Giant got up and
carried the ref on his shoulders back to the locker room.
The ring announcer comes out first. Gives his little schtick on throwing stuff towards the ring, etc. etc... He then announces that the Charleston show has been selected for the "on-line pay-per-view". He then introduces the play-by-play announcers for said "pay-per-view", Lee Marshall and Deli Boy. Marshall gets a nice little pop.(???)
- Ernest Miller def. Yuji Nagata
- Miller got a pretty good pop. "USA" chants to start the match.
- Numerous blown spots, the worst being when Miller attempted a version
of Marc Mero's TKO. The whole crowd laughed.
- Miller gets his spinning kick off the ropes and gets the pin.
- The Barbarian def. Bobby Eaton after a Kick of Fear.
- Referee Mark Curtis played to the crowd heavily on this one, getting
all in Barbarian's face. He almost got
nailed with a chair for his efforts.
- Almost no crowd response for this match. Too bad, I think they're missing the point.
- Saturn def. Fit Finley
- Finley almost got into a scrap with an audience member.
- Saturn played the face in this one.
- I didn't see most of this because I was standing in line for a
Goldberg T-shirt and a beer. :-)
- High Voltage def. Kidman and Sick Boy
- High Voltage gets a decent pop. They're much larger in person.
- Kidman grabs the mike and calls us "redneck trailer trash". At least
we take showers periodically.
- Rage grabs a mike and rebuts, accusing Kidman of not having showered in the past month. He then says that they will "Take the Flock to school." Whatever.
- This match is pretty well worked. Kidman misses his Seven Year Itch finisher, but it did look pretty in the attempt.
- Sickboy got a BEAUTY of a clothesline on Rage from the apron.
- Sickboy ends up outside the ring somehow, and Kidman ends up on Kaos' shoulders and Rage jumps off the top turnbuckle and sidewalk slams Kidman from his partner's shoulders. Looked very impressive.
Rage rolls him up for the pin.
- Now for our Main Event Matches!!
- Chris Benoit def. Booker T to win the WCW World Television Title!!
- This was the best match of the night. Benoit gets a big pop, Booker gets an even bigger one. Benoit has the look of death on his face the whole time.
- Booker T misses several Harlem Sidekicks, Benoit missed the flying headbutt. Booker T does his usual breakdancing routine.
- Benoit locks in the Crippler Crossface, Booker taps out. It's about damn time Benoit got a belt. Huge pop for Benoit. Every pair of hands in the arena is sporting the 4 Horsemen sign...
- DDP def. Raven after a Diamond Cutter.
- Huge pop for DDP. Raven gets booed like crazy. Charleston don't like him very much. "Raven sucks" chants to start the match. This guy could be good if they would give him a chance.
- DDP grabs a beer from an audience member, takes a swig, then chucks it at Raven.
- They fight all the way back to the dressing room. Raven gets nailed with a chair a couple of times.
- Raven gets the advantage for while and nails the Evenflow and DDP kicks out.
- Diamond Cutter and it's over.
- The Giant def. Kevin Nash after Nash gets disqualified for kicking Giant in the 'nads.
- These guys are HUGE in person. Nash must have dyed his hair again, and he's sporting a bit of a gut.
- Nash does a survey. Charleston is definitely nWo country. Nash got the biggest pop of the night.
- This match consists of nothing but the two guys lumbering around the ring punching, kicking, and headbutting each other. Very lame.
- Nash attempts a powerbomb, but Giant blocks and nails him with a headbutt.
- Match ends with Giant choking out Nash on the ropes and Nash lifting his leg, waffling Giant in the nuts.
- Nash powerbombs the referee for disqualifying him.
- Giant, the good Samaritan that he is, carries the ref out of the building.
- All in all, a good show with a lame main event. The big guys didn't move very well, they probably had a few too many in the back before the match started. Best worked match of the night was Benoit--Booker T, but that's to be expected. Nash, DDP, Giant, Benoit, and Booker T all got the loudest pops. Raven, Kidman, Sickboy, and Finley got boos out the ass.