House Show Results from Springfield, MO, Friday, February 13th, 1998
House Show Results from Springfield, MO, Friday, February 13th, 1998
A combined report by Stephen H. and Joshua W. from Drury College
First, Joshua W.:
- Prince Iaukea def. Dave "Fit" Finley
- I thought Fit was out of WCW, oh well I got it off the internet.
- I was outside waiting for someone so I didn't see the match.
- From what I hear, it was a really good match between the two.
- Iaukea apparently did some pretty high risk arieal moves, one to the outside.
- Iukea probably wins by flying cross body but I'm not sure.
- Yuji Nagata def. "Hardwork" Bobby Walker
- Most people in Springfield didn't know who Walker was. Of course, most
people in Springfield don't know what a red light means so that isn't
really saying much.
- I personally like Nagata. He gave out some really stiff kicks to the
Saturday Night superstar, well he's on Saturday Night nonetheless.
- No Sonny Ono. I love that guy.
- Some amateur stuff and power moves for the majority of the match. A
fairly good match.
- Nagata locks in the Nagata Lock for the win.
- Chris Benoit def. Saturn
- Best match of the night in my opinion. But I really like both of these
guys so I may be biased.
- The crowd went absolutely nuts for Benoit. His cheers were as loud as
DDP's later that night.
- I had a "Benoit's Protege" sign that I think he saw, but he doesn't
change expression at all so I don't know.
- I had seats on the entrance aisle and tried to yell at Saturn, but was
really scared of him. He looks evil.
- Benoit's chops make everyone in the arena cringe.
- -Saturn hit a lot of good suplexes, one being a t-bone Tazplex!
- These guys beat the hell outa each other in the ring.
- Benoit locks in the Crossface for the win and a huge pop.
- Rick Steiner def. "Flyboy" Rocco Rock
- This was supposed to be Steiners vs. Public Enemy, but Scott no-showed.
The titles were on the line.
- PE brought a table to the ring, there were very few people waving their
hands so they decided to go heel.
- Grunge got on the mic and made fun of Springfield, much to the delight of
my friends and me. Calling everyone trailrr trash really got the fans
upset because about 7/8 of the crowd are proud of their double-wides. The
other 1/8 were college age people.
- After that, everyone was barking up a storm.
- Back and forth.
- Rick took a vicious chair shot from Grunge.
- Rick fought both men during the match.
- Rick wins with his bulldog off the top.
- No table spot, which upset me. Until I saw Nitro last night.
- Time for everyone to go from very drunk to downright beligerent.
- Bill Goldberg def. Mongo
- Mongo recieved little response until he held up the horsemen sign and
people popped for that.
- People went nuts for Goldberg!
- Fairly long Goldberg match, about 5 minutes.
- This match was lumbering, it was good but just lumbering.
- In a quote, Goldberg was squeezing a side headlock and screamed "I'm
gonna rip his goddamn head off!!!!!" Which made everyone in the arena pop.
Many were going to practice that on their wives when they got home.
- Then, in a suprise ending, Goldberg hit the spear and the jackhammer for
- DDP def. Buff
- Buff said how much he hated Springfield too. But there were a few more
Buff fans than PE fans. He still got booed out of the place.
- Man, we hate those pretty boy frat guys.
- DDP comes out to no response from the crowd. No wait, the people went
absolutely nuts for him. The redneck champ for the people.
- Another great match by these two.
- I had a real tall guy stand up in front of me, so I didn't see most of
- A lot of posing by Buff, which was awesome.
- Buff escaped an early Diamond Cutter
- Great match, but I've seen it on Nitro before.
- The I didn't see the ending, but I heard Buff was going for the
Blockbuster and DDP cuaght him and Diamond Cut him.
- He hit the DC nonetheless and got the win.
- Buff got up and said he hated Springfield and he was "the stuff".
- Lex Luger def. Scott Hall
- It was supposed to be Giant/Hall but Giant got dropped on his head, as
you may have heard.
- I should have had my move counter. It would have been about the same as
a hockey game.
- Hall did the survey, most of the fans were nWo.
- Has anyone noticed that the people who cheer for WCW spell out N-W-O when
he asks. Just an observation.
- Short match with a lot of pushing and clotheslines. I think Hall hit the
chokeslam and did the Frankengoof/Giant thing but I'm not sure, Vlade
Divac was blocking my view. (not really Vlade, same tall guy with about
the same build.)
- Luger racks for the win. No attempt to go for the Outsider's Edge.
- After the match, Hall thanked everyone for coming out. He especially
thanked all the nWo fans. Which was really cool IMO.
- Hall: A night in Springfield is just too: SWEEEEEEEET!
- I suppose this is Hall's first time in Springfield.
- Post event:
- I got Hall and Buff's autographs, both really nice guys. Goldberg's really down to earth. Arn was there and I wanted to get a picture with
him, but I was getting my picture with Hall and he had just left. Arn saw my Horsemen shirt, but he was in a hurry to get out of there, as
were all of the guys. Hall was the nicest guy there. My camera didn't flash and he stayed until it did. Luger and Steiner snubbed everyone, but they've done that at two shows I've been too so I expected it. Buff is funny as heck, too. It was a really good show, worth the 28 bucks I paid for it with the Benoit and DDP's matches alone.
Second, Stephen H..:
- Opening match: Prince Iaukea pins Fit Finley after a flying cross body block
- Better match than expected. Both were really over with the fans. I could
hear Finley yelling at two guys next to me and he didn't sound Irish at
- Yugi Nagata over Hardwork Bobby Walker with the Nagata Lock
- Worst match of the night. Nobody cared, and with good reason. Nagata not
over at all.
- Rick Steiner over Rocco Rock with a top rope bulldog
- PE came to the ring with the table, and then proceeded to tell the crowd
that we were all a bunch of trailer park trash and that they hated
Springfield (booo!) When they think of cousins marrying each other, they
look into this crowd and get the picture (booo!) Rick Steiner came out
without his brother, and put the tag titles on the line in a one on one
match with Rocco. No explanation was given on Scott. I can't beleive I
witnessed the Public Enemy heel turn. Or were they heels in the first
place? I don't remember.
- Benoit over Saturn with the Crippler Cross Face
- Great match. Both got big pops. Both guys were absolutely humorless.
Afterwards, Benoit signalled to the crowd that he wanted a belt, and the
place went nuts. Lots of good work, and Beniot stomped a MUDHOLE in
Saturn at one point.
- Goldberg over Mongo with the you-know-what
- Goldberg and Mongo worked a decent match with a few mat moves and
reversals. Yeah, I was surprised too. Goldberg was INTENSE. At one
point during a simple side headlock, his face got red and he screamed to
the crowd "I'M GOING TO SQUEEZE HIS DAMN HEAD OFF!" Wow!
- Match of the night: DDP over Buff Bagwell with the hottest move in
- Buff must have gotten promoted, because he came out to the A-team music.
Buff put on the best show of the night. Posing, jogging in place, mocking
the DDP sit against the ropes, looked at a guy with a sign that said "I want to bang Kim"
sign and said "been there, done that," walking to back of the entrance to
get a hold of himself and taking a drink of a fan's beer, having his tights
pulled down and running around the ring with his butt crack out, and
telling the crowd that noone in Springfield has the stuff like Buff. I
thought that Buff was having an epeleptic fit on the mat after the cutter.
- Main Event (minus Buffer and The Giant) Lex Luger over Scott Hall with a
modified fireman's carry with multiple shoulder shakes--something a guy
told me was the "Torture Rack" :)
- I have seen this exact same match five times. Hall came out to some Cuban
sounding Razor Ramon-ish music. We were all a little confused.
Foreshadowing? Also, the Macho Man signature series nWo shirts were on
sale, and you got a free nWo pin with a Macho Man nWo purchase. I guess
that means that.....