House Show Results from Greenville, SC, Saturday, August 23rd
House Show Results from Greenville, SC, Saturday, August 23rd
Well, with the Knoxville, TN show, I got two reports. For the Greenville, SC show the following night, I got three. I'm posting all three as they differ in content and observations. It's interesting to note the similarity between the two shows. I'm presenting the reports in the order I received them.
From David A. from Spartanburg, SC.:
Here are the results from the WCW house show held last night in Greenville, SC at the Municipal Stadium:
(Note: The wrestlers were not allowed to use the dugouts, instead, they
were golf carted to the ring at home plate from behind the bleachers)
- Dave Taylor d. Bobby Eaton
- Not much wrestling went on here, just European Uppercuts followed by
good old American rights & lefts. Taylor won after a poorly executed
double underhook suplex. Do these guys open every house show?
- Psychosis d. "Sgt." Buddy Lee Parker
- This was billed as Psychosis vs Konnan/Konan/K-Dog/K-Dawg (you pick
the name!). Guess K-Dog was a no show. A loud groan from the crowd when
Buddy Lee came out! Buddy Lee was allowed to work some, most notably a
middle-rope walk into a knee drop! Psychosis won after a top rope leg
drop. No bird-flipping by Psychosis this time!
- Eddie Guerrero d. Dean Malenko
- Very disappointing match, considering what these two are capable of.
After 20 minutes of rest holds, Eddie crotched Dean while Nick Patrick's
back was turned, then mis-hit a Frog Splash (which Dean sold anyway) for
the screwjob win.
- Intermission, to sell some $20 t-shirts
- Lex Luger d. Scott Hall w/Syxx by DQ
- Guess Mr. Pop-Top was calling these guys, why else would this match
be 3rd from the top? Hall/Syxx came out proclaiming that Luger has no
friends, DDP is nWo, yadda-yadda-yadda. Luger came out to a huge pop & did
a Cal Ripken around the stadium! Typical Luger-nWo match, Luger put Hall
in the rack, Syxx interfered for the DQ & got racked for his trouble,
then Hall was re-racked to the crowd's delight!
- The Steiners d. Wrath/Mortis
- Huge pop for the Steiners, otherwise not much crowd interest in a
match between two teams with no history with each other. Rick took the
obligatory beating, then hot tagged Scott, who cleaned house. A golf
cart sneaked Eddie Guerrero into the 3rd base dugout while all four men
were battling - I smell a run-in on the main event! A bulldog from the top
rope on Mortis (is he the designated jobber on this team?) from Rick
seals the win for the brothers.
- Main Event - Ric Flair d. Jeff Jarrett
- Jarrett is way over as a heel - he was pelted with debris as his golf
cart drove along the 3rd base line! Flair came out to the biggest pop of
the night (& I marked out) - would you expect anything less in the
Carolinas? Flair took the mic & noted that this was supposed to be a US
title match, but thanks to Mongo, Jarrett has went from champ to
chump - Whoooo! After several lockups & Jarrett bailouts, Flair again went
to the mic & led the crowd in a healthy chant of "Jarrett Sucks!" This
match went back & forth with both men slapping the figure four on each
other, only to be broken up in the ropes. Finally, Jarrett got a rope
aided 3-count on the "Nature Boy," but the decision was reversed. As
Jarrett was pleading his case, Flair rolled him up for the pinfall,
which brought Guerrero from his dugout hideout to do a "mudhole stomp,
if you weeeel!" on Flair. Dean Malenko made the save (running over 100
yards down the 1st base line, no less) but refused Flair's proffered
hand & stalked back down the field.
Neill B. sends in this report:
I attended the house show at Greenville Braves stadium on 8/23. Before
the show I saw Arn Anderson having his picture taken with three people. I
also saw Psychosis and Juventud Guerrera arrive in a mini van. Juvie was
wearing a sling on his right arm and a Syxx shirt. He and Arn did not go
anywhere near the ring. The wrestlers and referees came to the ring
(which was set up on homeplate) on golf carts, with the exception of Lex
Luger, Wrath, Mortis and James Vandenburg.
Here are the results of the six match card:
- Dave Taylor over Bobby Eaton with a butterfly suplex
- Taylor threatens to leave if we chant "Bobby" one more time (GOOD!)
- Psychosis over Buddy Lee Parker with a leg drop from the top rope.
- Originally was scheduled to be Psychosis vs. Konan.
- Buddy Lee's music was AC/DC's "Highway to Hell"
- Also poorly worked, at one point Psychosis tried to sell throwing
dirt into Parker's eyes
- Eddy Guerrero over Dean Malenko with a very lame Frog Splash.
- Better then the first two, but not the best.
- Someone had a laser pointer on Eddy twice during the match. (This
must be catching on)
- Intermission. A drunken fan who was the center of attention during the
night stumbled onto the field and was quickly escorted away.
- Lex Luger over Scott Hall (w/Syxx) when he racked Syxx?
- Hall got on the mike and claimed that DDP was "nWo".
- Curing the match, Luger gave Hall four consecutive inverted atomic
- The Steiner Bros. over Wrath and Mortis (w/James Vandenburg) with a
bulldog from the top rope.
- Vandenburg was almost chased by Rick back to the dressing room, I
noticed someone nailed James with a paper ball on the head.
- I saw what looked like an inverted Boston crab used by Wrath for the
- After the match, Scott attacked Vandenburg. (Mortis ran over and gave
CPR to his manager and then carried him away, it was hilarious.)
- Ric Flair over Jeff Jarrett with a rollup.
- While Jarrett was riding to the ring, he was shielding himself from
trash with a towel.
- Flair loved the "Jarrett Sucks" chants so much, that he got the mike
and encouraged us more by asking "Jarrett what?" (Twice he asked "JJ
what?", he must have forgot that Jarrett is no longer "JJ").
- I noticed someone backing up Flair's car near the gate so he could
- Eddy Guerrero did a run in and helped Jarrett in pearl harboring
- Dean Malenko made the save on Flair.
- Final thoughts:
- Not the best card I have been to, but it was good.
A third person sent in this report:
- Dave Taylor over Bobby Eaton after a rollup
- Psychosis over Buddy Lee Parker after a top rope leg drop
- Eddie Guerrero over Dean Malenko after a cradle
- At intermission, my brother heard a radio talk show host sponsoring the event
said Sting would parachute out of a plane (our airport is just down the road)
- Luger over Hall after he put Syxx in the rack plus Hall
- Steiners over Wrath/Mortis after a top rope bulldog
- Flair over Jarrett. After Jarrett thought he won, Flair grabbed the trunks and rolled
him up. Flair left in his red Mercedes convertible soon after the match was over.
- Double A was waving at fans during the Malenko match, plus Malenko made the
save for Flair after Guerrero and JJ jumped him.
- No sting. Crap!