House Show Results from the Von Braun Civic Center in Huntsville, AL, Saturday, August 16th
House Show Results from the Von Braun Civic Center in Huntsville, AL, Saturday, August 16th
For this show, I got two sets of results, one from Chris H. and another one that was a combined effort of DTroupe902 and ThaRipper2. Rather than try to pick the better of the two, I combined them both into one report.
From DTroupe902 and ThaRipper2: The Show was OK. It would have been better if Dean was on the card. Arn Anderson came with Flair to the arena, and then went in with the Giant together. Here is a tip, if you want to see wrestlers in Huntsville, don't go the hotel, the bald guy there is a punk and won't let you in.
- Scotty Riggs pinned "Squire" Dave Taylor following a flying forearm
- Boring match.
- Kind of weird to book a jobber match on a card with only six matches.
- Taylor got the best heel heat of the night.
- "Lionheart" Chris Jericho pinned "Das Blunderpinned" Alex Wright to retain the WCW World Cruiserweight Championship (Jericho regained the title earlier in the week in Colorado Springs, CO)
- Good match, even though most didn't like it. After every move Wright would look at us since we were the only ones going for him.
- It felt weird as I watched this match, knowing the footage of Jericho winning the belt had been shown on TV only an hour ago.
- Both did some taunting of each other on the mic
- Steiners def. Vicious and Delicious after Scott pinned Buff
- Buff was acting like an idiot the whole match, the crowd loved it.
- I've never saw so many suplexes in my life.
- Buff deserves a push. He's a great heel.
- Jeff Jarrett w/o Debra pinned "Crippler" Chris Benoit to retain the WCW U.S. Heavyweight Title
- Loud chants of "Jarrett Sucks" three times during the match
- Jarrett won with a small package after Benoit had hit his superplex
- Ric Flair pinned Syxx with a small package
- Flair definitely received the biggest pop of the night
- The crowd was about 90% WCW
- Syxx used the ropes for the pin, but the ref didn't allow it. While arguing with the ref, Flair rolled up Syxx for the win.
- Giant over Kevin Nash via DQ after Buff, Norton, and Syxx stormed the ring.
- Both guys are HUGE. Giant wasn't that much taller then Nash.
- More out-of-the-ring brawling in this match than any other.
- After the nWo stormed the ring, Giant pushed both attackers back with one hand.
A few days after getting those two reports, I got another report on the same show from Blair Krieger. Here is his report:
- I get to my seat just in time to see Dave Penzer making his way to the ring....He hypes the crowd for a minute, introduces the ring attendants from HOOTERS, and promoted Nitro and the Huntsville Fire Soccer Team's playoff game tomorrow.....Then referee Mark Curtis makes his way to thering.....Penzer directs us to all stand for the National Anthem...
- Opening Bout....David Taylor vs. Scotty Riggs (20 minute time limit, referee Mark Curtis)
This was a stereotypical wrestling match....a clear cut heel vs. a definite face...Taylor made his way to the ring first...Union Jack in tow...Then Riggs came out to a good ovation....Grabbed the British flag from one of the ring girls and then ran it between his legs.....Taylor dominated much of the early going with his mat wrestling skills...Riggs made comebacks at various time while the crowd was chanting "USA! USA! USA!", but they never lasted long....Taylor once again took over about midway through the match with several European Uppercuts.....but in the end it was Riggs who prevailed after a dropkick from the second turnbuckle and a flying forearm and cover for the pin.
WINNER: Scotty Riggs by pinfall after about 20 minutes of good action.
- CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE MATCH....Champion Chris Jericho vs Challenger Alex Wright (20 minute time limit, referee Mark Curtis)
It was anounced at the beginning of the card that Jericho had just won the title earlier in the day and that this would be his first defense...(Actually he won it Tuesday but, it wasn't shown until WCW Saturday Night....Some stall tactics by Wright at the beginning...(He grabbed the mic and started downing the people of Huntsville)....Jericho then grabbed the mic and told Wright to shut his mouth because no one could understand what he was saying, anyway...A feeling out process early on with some good mat wrestling...The biggest high risk of the night was taken in this match by Jericho, who ran toward the corner...jumped to the second turnbuckle and then leaped outside the ring onto a dazed Alex...Normal rulebreaking tactics from Wright and he did his dance suprisingly only once...At one point Jericho nailed three consecutive clotheslines in the corner after whipping Alex pillar to post...He then
went for the "Lion"sault but Wright managed to get his knees up...Wright controlled the match then as the pace began to pick up...He then went for a high risk move of his own and missed a knee drop from the top rope...The end came when Jericho stepped back from a Wright dropkick and locked in the "Lion"tamer...
WINNER AND STILL CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPION: Chris Jericho by submission after about 20 minutes of great action
- TAG TEAM MATCH: The Steiners vs "Buff" Bagwell and Scott Norton (30 minute time limit, Referee Mark Curtis)
The Steiners absolutely brought down the house!!!!! The entire Civic Center was barking as Rick and Scott made their way to the ring...
Vicious and Delicious also got a good response as the crowd was mixed about half nWo and half WCW (a lot of Horseman t-shirts)...This was a great match from all aspects...Both Steiners went through their entire arsenal with the exception of the Frankensteiner...Bulldog/DDT from the top...and Scott's Steiner Driver...so this match featured some of the best moves of the night...The action was fast paced for the most part...Bagwell almost got brought to tears by referee Mark Curtis after he did an illegal move and was reprimanded by Curtis for almost a whole minute...Curtis had Bagwell sunk to the canvas begging for mercy!!! It was the most comical event of the night...Especially because Curtis is about half Bagwell's size!!! Another comical moment came when Bagwell
tripped face first while reentring the ring...The Steiners contolled the parts of the match right after tags were made between the brothers, but Vicious and Delicious seized control several times through double teaming...In the end, "Buff" continued his bad night as he was pinned by Scotty after a twisting belly-to-belly out of the corner...Rick held Norton off during the pin...
WINNERS: The Steiners after Scott pinned Bagwell...10 to 15 minutes of intense tag team action...
- 30 minute intermission...
- US TITLE MATCH: Champion Jeff Jarrett vs Challenger Chris Benoit (30 minute time limit, referee Mark Curtis)
This was the best match of the night...Benoit makes his way to the ring to a rousing ovation...Jarrett makes his way to the ring (strangely
without Debra) and is almost booed out of the arena...The crowd chanted "Jarrett Sucks!!!!" for most of the match (and it was a long match)...Jarrett stalled several times during the opening minutes of the match by leaving the ring and walking toward the dressing room...Benoit grabbed the mic and said "Jarrett, get your coward ass in the ring...NOW!!!!" The crowd loved it and the "Jarrett Sucks!!!" chant got even louder...A short feeling out period early on...The some battling outside the ring that was really intense...Benoit nailed a Baseball slide...and then beat Jarrett all the way around the outside of the ring banging him into anything and
everything...After he threw Jarrett back in the ring, Jarrett hit the ropes as Benoit was getting in and crotched him...Jarrett took over for
the next several minutes...Benoit tried to retaliate with a drop kick but JJ backed away and then locked on the Figure4...Jeff used the ropes for leverage and almost got a pin several times before Benoit reversed the hold...Shortly after this, Benoit got his second wind and was dominating Jarrett...He went up top for the diving headbutt...Jarrett saw it coming and moved out of the way...Jarrett then went up to the top rope but, Benoit got up and caught him with a right to the gut...Chris then mounted the turnbuckle for a superplex, which he executed sucessfully!!!! But, as he was rolling over on top of Jarrett for the pin, Jarrett hooked him in an small package for the victory!!!! Benoit could not believe it as he thought he had won the title...the ref then explained what had happened...The Crippler then left to a huge ovation....
THE WINNER AND STILL US CHAMPION: Jeff Jarrett by pinfall after about 25 minutes of action, like I said the best match of the night...
- GRUDGE MATCH: Ric Flair vs Syxx (30 minute time limit, referee Randy Anderson)
Syxx entered first to a good ovation but that would soon change as he was booed through out the match...Then the Nature Boy came strutting down to the ring and the Whoooo! Crew came out, it was deafening...It was pretty much a scientific match up early on...Syxx would try a move and Ric would counter leaving the former Kid frustrated....A one point they exchanged knife edged chops in the corner but Flair got the best of it when he went to fisticuffs...Syxx nailed his spinning karate kick and also his Ridem' Cowboy move in the corner...The end came when Syxx double legged Flair and pinned him with his feet on the ropes...But referee "Pee Wee" Anderson saw what happened and restrarted the match and, as Syxx was arguing with Anderson, Flair snuck up behind him and caught him with the roll up for the pin...
THE WINNER: Ric Flair by pinfall after about 12 quality minutes, Flair always puts on a good show and he put Syxx over well...
- THE MAIN EVENT!!!!! The Giant vs Kevin Nash (No time limit announced, referee Randy Anderson)
This is the one I wanted to see!!! Even though I figured there wouldn't be a clear winner as it is likely that these two will go one on one at a pay per view in the near future...Strangely, Nash entered to a rap song which I am not familiar with...The stare down at the beginning was intense...They were almost eye to eye...Nash then gave Giant a push at the end of the stare down...The best moments of the match were Giant and Nash battling outside the ring...Nash sent Giant into the steps and Giant sent Nash into the post...Nash nailing 3 knees, 2 elbow and then choking Giant out with his foot in the corner...Both wrestlers body slammed the other one!!! Towards the end they met each other with a double clothesline but neither man budged, they then went off the ropes again and each man connected with a big foot, sending them both to the canvas...Giant recovered first and signaled for the Chokeslam but just as he grabbed Nash around the neck, Syxx and Bagwell interfered...The Giant fought all three men off and left to a hugh round of cheers...
THE WINNER: The Giant by DQ when Syxx and Bagwell interfered after about 10 minutes of the big men going at it....
- It was a good night of wrestling overall...Everybody put each other over well and there didn't appear to be any blown spots...