House Show Results - Kansas City 1/31/97
House Show Results - Kansas City 1/31/97
Bob from Rockhurst College attended a WCW House Show at Memorial Hall in Kansas City, KS. He was kind enough to send in a report for your enjoyment. I've posted it verbatim.
The place was packed. It was hot...and the crowd was really rowdy. My first actual wrestling event that I've seen in person.
The night began with an announcement that because of an injury, the Nasty Boys were unable to wrestle.
Then they introduced the legend of KC: Handsome Harley Race. The crowd went bananas for this one. It was great to see this...he is truly a legend.
Match One: Terry Taylor vs Renegade
This match took forever to start. And man, did it start boring. The crowd even began to shout "BORING" after a while. When all was said and done, not much of a match. Renegade won.
Match Two: Syxx and Vince vs High Voltage
- At one point Terry Taylor tried to leave, but someone in the crowd convinced him to go back to the ring.
- Two DDTs in one match is a bit too much.
- The ref slammed Taylor (you read this right). It was a riot.
- Too many sleeper holds, too.
This one was great, had a few boring spots but overall it was good. Kind of got better as it went on. Nick Patrick was the ref. He was up to his usual stuff. High Voltage had it won, but Nick was distracted and Syxx jumped in the ring and knocked the High Voltage member out and put Vince on top of him.
Match Three: "Lord" Steven Regal vs "Das Wunderkid" Alex Wright
This one got the crowd going. The TV title was on the line for the first 15 minutes. But as you can guess it went over 15 minutes. The match was dirty as hell, and Regal was whining the whole time. Regal wins via pinfall using the ropes as leverage.
- High Voltage looked good.
- High point in the match came when some guy started yelling at Nick and Nick told him to get in the ring.
- Vince should not be allowed to wrestle. He sucks.
- High Voltage looks 'roided to the max.
Match Four: "Big" Bubba Rogers vs Jeff Jarrett
- At one point the crowd began yelling "Regal sucks!" really loud, it was great. Regal was pissed. He got on the mic and babbled a bit.
- Alex Wright won this one all the way. He is a great wrestler with a big future.
- The whole bit of Regal whining all the time is getting really old. I think it may be time to end this thread.
Great match. One of the best. Again, it took a bit to get started, but once it did, it rocked. Nick was the ref again..so Bubba had the upper hand from the beginning. Jarrett did win, though.
Main Event: Lex Luger & Giant vs Faces of Fear!!!!!
- Bubba kept untying Nick's shoes so that Nick would turn away. Then Bubba brought out the belt. Eventually JJ stole the belt and beat Bubba with it.
- Bubba was pissed that he lost and yelled at Nick for about five minutes.
- The guy in the crowd reappeared, Nick was pissed this time.
- Oddly, JJ did the Ric Flair Strut about four times. He was even making the Four Horseman sign (four fingers pointed up).
Man, was this crazy. I called it, though, after Nitro last week. Began with Luger coming out alone saying he had no idea where the Giant was. Then he told Nick to "GET his ASS out of the ring, cause there is no way he was reffing this match." New ref came out. Luger decides not to forfeit and fights alone. He fights about ten minutes. Goes back and forth. Then when Luger is tired the Giant comes out. The crowd went ballistic. Giant gets in and chokeslams Meng and Babarian. He wins.
- Luger tried to rack Meng and couldn't get him up all the way.
- The ref got knocked out of the ring and Nick came back out.
- Luger looked genuinely pissed after the match.
- Afterwards, Nick started beating the other ref.
- Giant chokeslammed the hell out of Nick Patrick. He had this guy way the hell up in the air. I mean huge. Then the Giant carried the other ref away.
- Giant wore two-strapped tights (he usually wears tights with a single strap).
- Luger is the only buff one that doesn't look roided up.
- The Giant is BIG. In real life this man is a tower.
- This could be a good thread to develop. I predict that LL and Giant will take the Tag Team titles.
- People got thrown out for throwing stuff.
- The crowd was split 50-50 nWo/WCW. This made for great yelling matches.
- The guy in the crowd confronting Nick Patrick was the man of the night.
- Vince sucks.
- Lots of sleeper holds in each match.
- The matches all started a bit too slow. With a few mistakes. The crowd let their discontent be known.
Back to DDT Digest