WCW Thunder - November 29, 2000
WCW Thunder - November 29, 2000
Our World is About to Change Again
- Greetings after an inordinately long DDT Digest absence.
For those of you that don't know me, I was Mike from Syracuse,
but now I am Mike from Brooklyn. And now, I'm Mike at a Computer
Writing a Thunder Recap. Let's party.
- Oh... and Sid is back. I'm not happy about that and I thought I'd
warn you before his inevitable first promo.
- Let's recap Nitro with a video package, shall we?
- Cat cartwheels Lance
- Perfect Event cost the Veterans the belts
- Luger racks Goldberg
- Rey looks like a dork
- Steiner takes out the Patron Saint and
- "Oh my God it's Sid Vicious"
- Tony S. welcomes us, introduces Mike Tenay and Mark Madden
- Let's have an opening interview
- Ric Flair comes out looking as only he and his son can look
- Madden becomes the first to say Steiner v. Sid at Starcade and I shudder
- Ric talks up WCW and Scott Steiner and announces Steiner v. Buff for
- And then Nature Boy introduces Sid Vicious
- Sid is sporting a more than passable mullet
- Sid thanks "Champ" who I assume is Flair
- Sid explains where he's been... flashback to the April 10 Nitro, when
Eric Bischoff took the World Heavyweight Title from him
- He defended that champion night in and night out (his words)
- Come April 10, the boys in the back had to kiss Bischoff's ass or suck
it up or stick it in (huh?)
- Sid mentions Creative Control and the Powers to Be
- But Sid has pride, and so he had to watch it on his own TV Set
- Booker T and General E. Rection had to step up in his absence
- Scott Steiner goes on with his fancy headgear and his foul language and
he mouths on and on
- In 1903, the Wright brothers set history in aviation, and as the year
- Then I think he said, "Wrong Place, Wrong Time."
- OK... I got through it. It could have been worse. But why was he
talking about the Wright Brothers?
- Incidentally, I was born on Orville Wright's birthday. Or Wilbur. I
- Oh yeah, we're in commercial.
- Pamela Paulshock talks with Franchise while Torrie stands by
- Franchise moves past the Cat onto bigger and better things
- Franchise is addicted to gold, and General Rection and the US Title are
a stepping stone to the World Title
- Torrie tells Pamela she knows she's jealous of her but "Don't hate me
because I'm beautiful."
- Whose line was that, Kelly LeBrock?
- Pamela asks the audience why she would be jealous of Torrie? The
audience ignores the question.
- Enter Team Canada
- Tenay: I think we're in for a moment of seriousness
- Lance has the stick
- Lance mentions his pinfall loss to Yang .
- Canadian anthem plays and Duggan disrespects the anthem by yabbering at
- It's time for...
- MATCH #1: Elix Skipper and Lance Storm v. Jung Dragons
- Quick Powerbomb into a bridge by Yang on SKipper gets two
- Mat wrestling from there, ending in a way too complicated top rope
armdrag from Yang
- Kaz comes in, hits a kick on Elix from the top then a kick to the chest
to send him out
- A full minute is the wasted on a Team Canada impression
- Even if everyone does it, it will not get any funnier
- Elix comes back and ain't happy
- Lance Storm hits an enziguri on Kaz on the apron, knocking him in to the
- Wow, neat spot
- Kaz gets crotched on top
- Elix walks to the middle of the rope and hits a huracanrana for two
- Kaz with a Tajiri-esque kick to Skipper's head
- Kaz hottags Yang, Yang with a body press and a Bruce Lee impression
- Yang with an old school drop kick
- Low blow from Elix gets 2
- Team Canada collides after a botched double Irish Whip
- Prime Time with a Double Underhook Superplex, but Yang makes the save
- Gunns uses the flag, but Meow hops on her back
- Kaz with a sweet Brainbuster
- Cat comes in and takes out Duggan
- The Dragons hit a top rope move which I miss but I assume was a body
splash and a senton
- And 1-2-3, the Dragons upset Team Canada again
- Pretty nifty little match, but Lance Storm never tagged in. And Yang
and Skipper miss a lot of moves
- Team Canada is in disarray in the back, Storm blames Duggan
- Gene O. is with the MIA, all in red
- General Rection doesn't like his belt being used as a stepping stone
- AWall is upset with Bam Bam and there's a tables match tonight
- Chavo pumps Rection up (err... I should rephrase)
- Lex Luger is out and all smiley
- Ironically, his opponent appears to be Norman Smiley
- Another match? Already?
- By the way, we have Luger v. Goldberg at Starcade, pencil it in
- MATCH #2: Lex Luger v. Norman Smiley
- Tie up and Smiley hits a wristlock
- Luger goes to the eyes, Norman hits a drop toehold and a drop kick
- Luger plods in to offense, but Norman answers with a back elbow
- Luger bails then drags out Smiley for some very slow brawling, which
- Clubbing forearm to the back from Luger, fist to the back
- Back drop suplex (I see a trend) gets two
- Kicks in the corner from Luger
- Hey, where's Ralphus?
- Smiley hits a nice floatover into an armdrag
- Norman with his wind-em-up slam and THE WIGGLE RETURNS
- The standard Luger match ensues and the Rack makes Norman scream
- Luger refuses to break the hold and Goldberg makes the save
- Luger bails
- Tony: I've never seen Luger move that fast before
- Oh it's so true.
- You know what Goldberg really needs? Bobby Heenan back to talk him up
- Gene O. is with Bam Bam Bigelow
- Bigelow calls AWall a circus freak, which, while maybe true, is kind
of a non-sequitir
- He's upset and is going to kick AWall's posterior around in the tables
- Crowbar is being massaged by Nitro Girls
- A package is delivered, which the one of the Nitro Girls opens
- It's a Gold Monkey Wrench, the gift that keeps on giving
- Pamela Paulshock stands with Reno and Marie
- Pamela guesses that Reno and Marie are an item
- Reno says no, she's his sister
- Pamela realizes that this means that Vito and Reno are brothers
- Is Reno from Staten Island, too?
- This just took a turn for the weird
- Bryan Adams is on the phone with a prospective client, but
Bryan Clark tells him something
very quietly which I assume is that they have other business.
- That's it? The whole segment? I feel like I'm writing really poor
- Gene O. is with JJ
- Gene asks who his partners will be for the 6-Man?
- Oh dear... the band is back together... it's Big D and Heavy Ron. Or
whatever they are.
- The Shock of the Week is Chuck Palumbo appearing on Nitro.
- A dazed little kid gets kissed by a Nitro Girl and a Nintendo.
- MATCH #3: Crowbar v. David Flair (Hardcore Title)
- Crowbar enters with the wrench and some laughing and screaming
brings out Flair the Younger (sans shirt)
- Crowbar fights with Flair over a trashcan, forgetting HE HAS A WRENCH IN
- Flair with clubbing forearms, a mop, a forearm, and a trash can lid
- Crowbar comes back with a whip in to the can
- Crowbar brandishes the wrench, but Flair intercepts with a mop.
- Crowbar uses the trash can to great effect.
- A paint tray causes serious damage to Flair's head and neck region.
- (Mostly the head)
- They take it outside, where the beating continues
- Crowbar deserves better than this
- Crowbar sets Flair up on the floor, sets a chair on him, and Vader bombs
him from the guardrail
- Crowbar yells "My best friend" at David Flair. *sigh* And I remember
when they met at that gas station.
- Flair hits a chairshot from the second rope to the midsection.
- Madden says the crowd goes nuts. Maybe a very bland peanut oil, but
definitely not nuts
- Flair locks the Figure Four but Crowbar breaks the hold with a cookie
- Crowbar with chops, the third one misses and Flair crotches him
- This match gets this much time?
- Mindbender onto a trashcan, and the Golden Monkey Wrench finishes it.
- And Stacy Kiebler is back and tends to young David.
- That was waaaaayyyyyy too long.
- The trainer and Stacy tend to David during the break... he inquires
after the baby that isn't his
- Knocked out by the wrench, brought down by the wench
- Shane Douglas enters with Torrie... maybe we should cut his damn music
- Hey, I was right
- WOW! Franchise channels Rick Rude and then introduces Torrie
- Torrie attempts to speak and plays dumb.
- Torrie calls the crowd in Rockford, IL cows.
- She's from LA and she's beautiful so Shut Up.
- Franchise takes the stick back
- Shane says he's going to take Rection's belt, compares idiots in the
front row to the MIA and mentions getting his ass Franchised.
- Rection comes out with the entire MIA for...
- MATCH 4: General Rection v. Franchise (US Title)
- Franchise targets the leg to start
- Rection comes back with some chops, but Franchise goes back to the knee
- Franchise locks on a Figure Four
- Rection grabs the rope and Douglas breaks
- Inverted atomic drop for Shane and then Shane gets dropped
- Torrie mounts Rection, who sandwiches her against the turnbuckle
- The referee screeches for medical help
- Everyone appears concerned except Chavo who is upset that Rection isn't
taking advantage and tried to push Wilson out of the ring
- Trainer is out, EMTs are out, Tony is checking on her
- Let's take a moment to recall Torrie's storied career.
- Torrie Wilson made her first WCW appearance in, I believe, early
1999, where she attempted to seduce a camera man
which later turned out to be David Flair.
- It was revealed that she was paid to seduce David to the Dark Side by
Kevin Nash so David would betray his father, Ric.
- Torrie was the offical woman of the nWo for a short time, winning a
bikini contest at some Nitro in Florida.
- But her feelings for David went betond money. She cared for the man
himself... until she met Billy Kidman.
- Then she left Kidman for Shane Douglas, and now shes being sandwiched by
a man named General Rection.
- We will miss her.
- Wait... she's not dead. Never mind.
- Chavo is upset at Rection for not taking advantage of the situation
- Maybe it's time for him to leave (I agree)
- MATCH 5: Rey Misterio/Konnan/Kidman v. Jeff Jarrett/Big Ron/Heavy D
- JJ is out with Corpulent Ron and Obese D
- I guess we're in for a six man tag
- Dirty, filthy, that's the way they like
- And this match will be taking place on Pier Six
- Kidman with a huracanrana on Gerald
- Tag in to Konann, Patrick with a knee to Konann's back
- Tygress is with the announce team
- JJ is in
- Konann hits the back kick spin around facebuster (already)
- Rey flies in
- Rey hits his bulldog thing on Zan
- Now Jaina is in, and the Wonder Twins take advantage of their 600 pound
- Every thing in this segment is a different version of let's drop Rey on
- Here's JJ to save us
- Springboard dropkick from Rey
- Hot tag to Kidman
- Dropkick, clothesline, dropkick, powerbomb
- And Heavy D make the save
- Chaos eruptd and JJ plays Musical Ninja and wrecks a guitar over
- Referee misses the shrapnel and counts the 1-2-3.
- Gene O. is with Buff is the Stuff Bagwell
- Bagwell has his opportunity tonight, and is going to take it
- He's Buff, he's the Stuff, he laughs
- Crowbar walks with the Nitro Girls and Daffney returns
- It seems Daffney and Ossie broke up, and she wants back in with
- But Crowbar doesn't need her now
- Even so, you can tell he's hurting inside
- Mike Tenay chats with the Patron Saint
- Stevie had a lot of emotion inside on Monday
- No other superstars have a brother in the business like he does
- (err... except Scott Steiner)
- "Sometimes that's how the mop flops"
- In 1993, Stevie Ray became a fulltime member of the WCW Roster
- Ole Anderson and Dusty Rhodes were the bookers, they'd never dream
they'd be 10 time Tag Champs
- Where is Stevie Ray going now?
- It seems the Saint likes Drag Racing and may go in for ownership of a
- Look at that
- These aren't very tough questions, Tenay.
- Stevie Ray thanks the fams for all of their support and the fan mail,
and DDT Digest for canonizing him.
- OK... maybe not that last bit, but wouldn't it have been cool if he did?
Blood Runs Colder
- Am I the only person happy to see Glacier back?
- No. I'm not. Just thought you might want to know where I stand.
- Bam Bam Bigelow enters so he can have...
- MATCH 6: Bam Bam Bigelow v. AWall in a Tables Match
- The first man to put his opponent through the table wins
- Bam Bam takes advantage of AWall being a big fat loser.
- Come on, Bammer, bust out the cartwheel!
- BBB goes for a powerbomb, but AWall BAck Body Drops out of it and hurls
Bam Bam out of the ring, almost through the table
- Slow brawling outside, just to annoy me
- Bam Bam makes a cardinal mistake and enters the ring right after AWall,
receiving a kick to the head for his trouble
- Bam Bam kinda German Suplexes AWall through the table, but they both
went through at the same time so the match continues (read: Bam Bam will
- On the outside AWall goes for a vertical suplex on the table, but Bam
- Mike Awesome comes out from the crowd with a chair and introduces it to
- AWall gently drops BBB on a table for the win while Awesome gives him
the bad mouth
- Gene O. stands with 70's Guy Mike Awesome
- It looks like we have BBB v. Mike Awesome at Starcade
- "It's going to get nasty"
- That's a good Starcade matchup
- MATCH 7:Buff Bagwell v. Big Poppa Pump (World Heavyweight Title)
- It turns out Scott's last name is not Steiner, but "Outtacontrol"
according to Tony
- And curses are exchanged with the crowd as Mr. Outtacontrol enters
- The champ has the stick and he tells Buff that he put Booker T and Sting
in the hospital and ended Stevie Ray's career
- But tonight he's in a good mood: he'll let Buff walk away
- Buff appreciates it and he's going to walk aw- no, he's going to kick
him in the stomach
- Punch, punch, kick, out of the ring, choke, back in the ring, punch
- Uh oh, Buff is caught, and now he's in the tree of woe
- BPP pulls back on the injured neck
- Tony: See the sadistic superstar Scott Steiner.
- I want to hear Flair say that, just once
- Steiner does pushups
- Backbreaker for Bagwell, and Steiner jaws with the fans
- Steiner with a big chop, and then chokes Bagwell on the ropes
- Belly to Belly on Buff Bagwell
- Slick Johnson gets some attention from Scotty
- Surfboard for Buff but Bagwell powers out
- Bagwell attempts to comeback, goes for a dropkick but BPP holds the
- Buff hits a DDT
- Fans are legitimately hot for this
- Inverted atomic drop from Bagwell, double arm DDT, not quite a
neckbreaker, but Buff gets caught and set on the top turnbuckle
- Sid's disembodied head taunts Steiner from the Turnertron, by calling
him a dumbass
- Buff knocks Steiner off and hits the Blockbuster but there's a kickout
- Midajah is up top, Bagwell grabs her, drops her
- Steiner clotheslines him and the Recliner ends it
- Post-match Steiner puts the chinlock back on, but Sid appears at the top
of the ramp
- He doesn't make the save though... classy, Sid
- And we fade to black
The Good: Chavo's dissension with the MIA. Team Canada v. The Dragons
was good, if sloppy. The main event was pretty solid, if not for the extra
The Bad: Giving roughly four hours to a David Flair Match.
The Ugly: Having Sid, Big Ron, and Heavy D on my television. And that
segment where we had nothing but vignettes and interviews. Did we find out
what was up with Kronik, or did I miss it?