WCW Tuesday Nitro, 7/18/2000
Monday Tuesday Nitro - Monday, 7/18/2000
- We're a day late and an Aldo short as Nitro was pre-empted due to a two
part TNT mini-series. This might be more embarrassing than the Dog Show.
- Aldo works on Tuesday nights so the cavalry is here in the form of Mike
from Syracuse. Bear with me as I type you through two hours and five
of WCW action.
- This is my first Nitro recap and I'll tell you something ... there are
lot more commercials than I would have thought. There were 11 segments in
2 hour show.
- By the way, tonight's Nitro was broadcast from The Palace in Auburn
where Michigan State trounced Syracuse University in the Sweet 16 this
I'm going to spend the next two hours hoping Mike Rotunda makes a surprise
appearance and wipes the mat with Scott and Rick Steiner
- Yes, I
they went to Michigan, but no good wrestlers came out of MSU.
- Come to think of it, no good wrestlers came out of Michigan
- Enough lollygagging... let's go to the action...
- Or rather ... let's go to this Scott Steiner clip package...
- Scott Steiner has no friends. And the people who make the clip
don't mind pointing it out.
- This genetic freak is well known as being a monster behind the scenes,
but now the monster's on the loose ... unlike when he was a heel just three
months before. Then he was a fuzzy little kitten.
- He stabbed Kevin Nash in the back, ruined Scott Hall's chances of
back, and turned on Booker and Mrs. T.
- To make up for the above heinous actions, he choked Mike Tenay within
inch of his life.
- The announcer states that in any other walk of life, Scott Steiner
be in prison now. In WCW, he gets a push (That last bit was mine).
- And now we are live from the parking garage of The Palace in Auburn
Hills, Michigan where Scott Steiner is smashing a car with a lead pipe.
- Our Patron Saint Stevie Ray, sitting in at the announce position,
us that the car is the gift that Booker bought for himself.
- Rick Steiner and Midajah the Lone Freak attempt to calm Steiner down.
- There's the three shot as we meet our hosts: Stevie Ray (our Patron
Saint), Tony Skee-a-vone, and Mark Madden.
- Hey Security! Get those women off the sta- oh ... it's the Nitro
I recognize two of them. Is Chae the senior Nitro Girl now? I think she is
the only original Nitro girl to not get a better job.
- Nitro channels RAW as we have a 20 minute interview segment to start.
- The Cat comes out and the Nitro Girls escort him to the ring, which
Madden sweat. That may have been the walk to the ring, Mark. And take off
- The Cat tells the crowd to shut up
- Kanyon breaks down the one night US Title tournament for us.
- Positively Kanyon vs. Mike Awesome
- Vampiro vs. The Great Muta
- The Franchise vs. Billy Kidman
- Buff Bagwell vs. Lance Storm
- The Cat has rules for tonight
- 1) He doesn't want the crowd talking too much during his show.
- 2) He wants the fat people in the front row to sit down. (That's
- Sirens announce the impending entrance of Scott Steiner.
- The Nitro girls bail and the Cat summons a lone security guard, who is
promptly punked by Poppa Pump.
- Steiner lays hands on the Cat and says he wants a title shot.
- Booker T is out and has something to say about his car ... but he lets
his right hand do the talking (i.e. He punches him... Booker T doesn't do
- Rick Steiner comes in and commences the double team until our Patron
Saint makes the save.
- I'm waiting for Schiavone to say he's never seen any thing like this
before... I wouldn't put it past him to forget every Steiner Brothers vs.
Harlem Heat match.
- Here's security to break things up.
- The Cat declares that Steiner will get no title shot, but he will get
- Let's go to the back ... where Buff Bagwell and his mommy are standing
... until the director tells them to walk. And Judy is wearing a neck
- A New Blood Rising trailer takes us to commercial
- Enter The Dragon is on "after WCW." No start time. We could be here
- Stevie Ray sits back down and gets a guitar in the back of the head for
his trouble. Jeff Jarrett did the swingin'.
- It appears that Jeff took out our Patron Saint as a warning to Booker
- Tony and Mark babble at each other ... let's go to the ring!
- Match One: Positively Kanyon vs. Mike Awesome
- Kanyon appears to have lost the wig and dyed his hair. It looks better
but it isn't as funny.
- "Enter the Mullet" brings Mike Awesome to the ring
- Buff and Judy Bagwell come on down and share a moment with Mike
lending him support. Then they sit down for commentary.
- Kanyon starts us off with rights, whips Awesome into the corner,
up to the top and hits the back elbow.
- Awesome is up top again, hits a flying clothesline and a running
- Kanyon grabs Awesome in a swinging neckbreaker for two, then hits the
fireman's carry into a flapjack thing all the kids are doing these days.
That gets two as well.
- Kanyon whipped into the rope, float over to the apron, knocked to the
- Awesome sees an opportunity and takes it, getting a head of steam and
nailing the no hands plancha/tope thing. I can't keep them straight. Oh
yeah, his foot almost snagged on the top rope.
- Out comes the table set up right outside the ring.
- The Awesome Bomb is set up, but Kanyon low blows and delivers the
Cutter through the table to the floor.
- Hey remember when Awesome put Kanyon into the hospital, but he wasn't
really that hurt, and Bischoff was the only one who visited him, so he
Awesome in the New Blood? Me neither.
- Buff and Judy attack Kanyon, and Judy gets tossed aside.
- Buff takes over and hits the Blockbuster on Kanyon. The ref missed it
- Awesome in to capitalize but takes too long and gets two.
- Kanyon backslides and gets two.
- A running Awesome bomb finishes the match. 1, 2, 3. Awesome makes it
the semi finals.
- Post match, Awesome is pelted with some very large underwear from the
- In the back, Pamela Paulshock flirts with Lance Storm.
Lance plays stone face and belittles this sports entertainment crap.
- "It's time to shut up and wrestle."
- He tells us where he's from (if you don't know by now, you'll find out
- After tonight he's renaming the US Belt the Canadian Heavyweight
- Paulshock gives us "whatever" and mutters "What did he say?"
- Hey, is she in Coyote Ugly?
- In the back, Buff talks to his brother John and tells him to take Judy
away because it's too dangerous. Hey Buff, wouldn't it be even safer in
Georgia? Cheaper, too.
- Also in the back, Kanyon conspires with smooth.
- Match Two: Buff Bagwell vs. Lance Storm
- Madden quotes Arn Anderson's line about wrestling still being the
marquee. I agree, Mark ... now, never quote Arn again!
- Storm has the stick, runs down the crowd, blames them for him turning
heel, and tells the fans not to blame Canada, but to blame themselves.
- He finally asks us to stand for the Russian nati... Canadian national
- Buff disses our Northern brothers and starts stomping Storm.
- Buff hits the neckbreaker that usually never quite connects!
- Notice how I didn't mention the bad taste of doing a neck injury angle
with Buff's Mom. I don't judge.
- Storm gets a couple quick elbows, but Buff hits a back body drop.
- Buff gets a ten punch count a long and ends up with a two count.
- Storm and Buff trade some WEAK chops in the corner.
- Buff hits a sloppy double arm DDT.
- The Nitrovision shows the parking garage where Smooth intercepts John
- Buff is distracted enough to get caught in the Canadian Mapleleaf for
tap out. Formerly, the rolling half crab. There's nothing remotely leaf
shaped about that move.
- Lance Storm advances to the semis via submission.
- In the back, the Cat is flirting with an anonymous Nitro girl.
- Cat hears music but AnomyNitro girl does not.
- The Jung Dragons pounce! Let the games begin.
- Stevie Ray enters, sees the shenanigans, and begins hurling Dragons
- Cat pleads with him to stop and tells Big Stevie they're his friends.
- Our Patron Saint is confused, but he will get a shot at Jeff Jarrett if
he just lets the Cat and the Dragons play.
- We find out that the video showed Smooth taking John away so that
could Kanyoncut Judy Bagwell. I knew it would be safer in Georgia.
- Big Poppa lurks in the back with his lead pipe, gallantly sending his
- Match Three: The Great Muta vs. Vampiro (w/ the Insane Clown Posse and
- They show us some clips of Muta vs. Sting and Muta/Sting vs. The
Steiners. Man they were good back then.
- Oh lord... it's the Insane Clown Posse. They're back.
- Vamp has clown makeup and he is again entering to "Take it."
- I smell tequila.
- The bell rings and Muta takes out the ICP.
- It seems that Muta is one of Vamp's idols and the reason he got into
- Vamp hits a spinning kick but misses a corkscrew splash.
- Muta gets a snap mare and a quick elbow.
- Tony speculates that Vamp has Demon under a spell.
- Muta takes Vamp down and works the arm.
- Vampiro goes to the gut, Muta to the eyes.
- Vampiro gets a rollup for two.
- The Muta handspring elbow misses!
- Vamp gets a Uranage but Muta comes back with the dreaded dragon screw
- A Muta spinning toe hold is turned into a Vampiro inside cradle.
- Muta hits a hurricanrana roll up for two.
- Finally, Muta's moonsault finishes for the 1, 2, 3.
- Muta advances to the semifinals to take on Mike Awesome.
- Postmatch, Vampiro and the ICP beat up on Demon ... could there be
dissension in ... oh never mind.
- In the back, Steiner takes out Ralphus and Norman Smiley.
- Match Four: Franchise w/ Torrie vs. Billy Kidman
- Franchise enters with Torrie Wilson who is completely naked.
- Torrie and Franchise run down Kidman. Blah blah blah.
- Kidman is in, and Franchise is stomping away.
- Front suplex by Franchise is followed by the rolling neckbreaker.
- Torrie chokes and taunts Kidman over the bottom rope.
- Douglas is out and Kidman hits a baseball slide, but he goes after
- Douglas picks up Kidman and crotches him on the ringpost.
- Franchise goes up top but gets crotched. Frankenkidman!
- Kidman with a headscissor takedown, a dropkick, a clothesline and an
elbow. In that order.
- Torrie trips Kidman up and Billy lands in the Pittsburgh Plunge, but it
only gets two because it's no longer a finisher.
- Torrie connects with a chair and Franchise goes for a suplex.
- Kidman reverses into a bulldog (You can't suplex Kidman!)
- Whoops... Franchise hits the Franchiser (reverse stunner) for the pin.
- Franchise advances to the semis to take on Lance Storm.
- Backstage, 3 Count has ladder.
- In the parking lot, Goldberg pulls up and chats on his cell phone.
- WCW MasterCard spot exposes how few people are left from the era when
they were created.
- Goldberg chats with the crew ... is he a face again?
- Match Five: Three Count vs. Jung Dragons in a Ladder Match
- Tank does double duty ring announcing for Three Count and then guest
- The gold record is hanging over the ring and the ladder is set up.
- We are told that the Jung Dragons and Three Count are booked for a
match at New Blood Rising. This is important later.
- As Three Count performs, Jamie San scales the ladder behind them.
- A melee ensues and Shane climbs up the opposite side.
- The ladder falls and both men get hung up on the top rope.
- It seems we're having the match now.
- The ladder is set up lying across the ropes in a corner and Shannon is
backdropped on top.
- It takes five minutes to set up a Jamie San suplex off the ladder in
- It's everyone miss your highspot time.
- Evan grabs the ladder and plays airplane.
- Evan is up on top of the ladder and is pushed off towards Tank who was
supposed to catch him on the floor but didn't. So Evan lands on his feet.
- Jamie San grabs the gold record, winning the match 26 days early.
- This was the sorriest excuse for a ladder match I have ever seen.
Goldberg vs. Hall was better.
- In the back, Goldberg and Steiner finally connect and locker rooms are
emptied trying to separate them.
- Some quick thoughts on the US Title Quarter Finals
- In each case, the person who has spent less time in his current stint
WCW went over.
- Most of the matches were solid, but lackluster. Mailing it in, so to
speak. Hopefully it was just to save energy.
- The semifinals are heel vs. heel and face vs. face, so I don't think we
can expect much in the way of heat.
- Match Six: Mike Awesome vs. Great Muta
- Awesome starts us off with a big belly to belly suplex.
- Muta rolls under a clothesline, hits a drop-kick, and Awesome bails.
- Muta hits some chops so Awesome tosses Muta around.
- Muta goes for the mist and hits Madden ... still wearing those
- Muta goes upstairs and hits a nice missile drop-kick followed by a nice
Frankenmuta. (That's fun... almost every name works after Franken-)
- Muta charges the corner and gets a foot to the mush and a clothesline
- Awesome lands the Awesomebomb for the win and to advance to the finals.
- In the back, Buff beats up Smooth until Kanyon shows up.
- Madden falls in love with Kiwi. I don't find Kiwi amusing.
- Match 7: Franchise vs. Lance Storm
- Tony calls Storm "Mr. Serious". Someone should introduce Mr. Serious to
Sting Comeback and Chris Benoit-Intensity.
- Storm hits a quick elbow but gets back body dropped to the floor.
- They brawl outside and Torrie jumps on Storm.
- Douglas goes up top and hits a cross body and Curt Hennig's rolling
- Storm hits a drop-kick but then gets caught in a BIG reverse atomic
- Franchise hits two rolling vertical suplexes and a falcon arrow
the trinity. But he breaks the fold and hooks a leg, ending with a two
- Kidman is up on the stage watching the match with a box of popcorn.
He has issues with Storm and Douglas! What a coinkydink.
- Storm is attacking Franchise's ankle and knee. A sidekick gets two.
- Lance blocks the Plunge but gets caught in a Belly to Belly.
- Franchise goes for a suplex but Storm reverses into a cradle, which is
reversed again by Douglas.
- Lance hits the dreaded thumb to the eye and Douglas finds himself in
- Tapout time... Lance Storm vs. Mike Awesome in the finals.
- Postmatch, Kidman is in, takes out Franchise, taunts Torrie, and
- In the back, Rick colludes with BPB's freak.
- And Our Patron Saint readies Himself for battle.
- The following matches are announced for New Blood Rising
- Jeff Jarrett vs. Booker T for the World Heavyweight Title
- The Franchise vs. Kidman
- Sting vs. The Demon
- Kronic v. Perfect Event v. Rection/Cajun v. Jindrak/O'Haire for the Tag
- Match 8: Jeff Jarrett vs. St. Stevie Ray
- Stevie Ray gets us going right with a powerslam
- St. Stevie with some strong right hands in the corner
- Jeff Jarrett is clotheslined out of his boots and out of the ring
- Outside, Jarrett controls with nefarious tactics.
- Back in, JJ hits a Stevie with a fist from the second rope, but then he
gets caught in a Stevie Ray spinebusterish move.
- Here's Rick Steiner and Midajah ... normally you'd think Midajah would
running interference for Rick, but you'd be wrong.
- Rick distracts the ref while Midajah goes up top and hurls her body
towards St. Stevie.
- JJ capitalizes with a move very similar to the Stroke and wins the
1, 2, 3.
- According to Madden, Jarrett will win by any means necessary. He's in
the Nation of Domination?
- Here comes Booker T to clean some house.
- Match Nine: Mike Awesome vs. Lance Storm for the US Heavyweight Title
- Brawl on the outside to start
- Storm utilizes a chair and drops a leg on the chair on the mullet.
- "USA" Chant ... somewhere, Jim Duggan is smiling.
- Storm chops, then goes to the eyes. Two quick elbowdrops follow.
- Awesome answers with a BIG sitout powerbomb. A clothesline and a two
- Awesome hits an avalanche but the frog splash finds only knees.
- Storm blocks a top rope Awesome Bomb attempt and hits a superplex (!)
- Storm goes up top but gets caught in a Belly to Belly. (Move of the
- Awesome sets up for an Awesomebomb but Storm rolls through and hooks on
the Canadian Mapleleaf for the Submission victory and the Canadian US
- Very good match.
- In the back, the Cat wears overalls and talks to Booker T. Booker gets
dressing room even though he doesn't have any matches tonight.
- After commercial break number ten, Cat come out to ref the Main Event.
- And here's Booker to provide us with some analysis.
- Match Ten: Main Event: Goldberg vs. Scott Steiner
- Steiner is out first with Midajah and chain mail on his head.
- Goldberg follows. There is no trace of the heel about him, nor do the
announcers mention his heelish ways.
- The bell rings at 9:58 PM EST.
- Lockup into the corner, BPP says no to a clean break.
- A Steinerline send Goldberg to the mat.
- Goldberg comes back with a forearm to the back and a suplex.
- Steiner is in the corner and Goldberg sets up for the spear.
- Steiner dodges and Goldberg puts on the brakes.
- Steiner with an Exploder Suplex, but then gets caught with a flying
- Goldberg hits his gorilla powerslam.
- Steiner hits his belly to belly.
- Steiner locks on the Steiner Recliner despite Cat's protests. Steiner
breaks the hold and takes Cat out.
- Booker T is in and confronts Steiner. Goldberg rushes from behind and
starts a spear but Booker T leapfrogs and Goldberg hits Steiner.
- Harlem sidekick for Goldberg ... maybe he is still a heel.
- Wolfpack music brings out Kevin Nash and a bottle of beer.
- Nash powerbombs Steiner and Goldberg and elicits the line of the night
from T-bone: "We haven't seen him since Bash at the Beach!" Yeah ... what
was that? Last week?
- Booker stands alone in the ring as we run out of time.
- The Good: Ten Matches! Lance Storm is a very capable US champ.
and Steiner had a nice little power match. Awesome vs. Storm was match of
- The Bad: Our Patron Saint lost. Kiwi. Judy Bagwell being involved in
- The Ugly: The return of Insane Clown Posse. The "Ladder Match."