WCW Saturday Night - Saturday, September 11, 1999
- Alright, got a little disclaimer here. I have been super busy this weekend and am
basically whipping this thing out. So my play by play may not be real deep or even
super accurate, but I did the best I could in the time I had. So I apologize for the
shoddy nature of this report and will try to do better in the feature. Thanks.
- Well now that's out of way, I'm sure you all know that Bischoff is gone. I'm sort
of ambivalent about the whole thing. I'm not going to celebrate until I see some
results. Like my buddy Henry said "This could be like putting a tourniquet on a
- For everyone that emailed me with Lash's finisher thanks. I got some varied
responses, but the most common one was the Whiplash so I'll stick with that.
- We're taped for a Samuel L. Bronkowitz production of "That's WCW Saturday
- Match #1 Bobby Blaze vs. Perry Saturn
- Tenay and Hudson send out their well wishes to Brian Hildebrand and his family.
They dedicate this edition of Saturday Night to him.
- That was a very classy touch.
- We have one of my favorite workers in Perry Saturn to start the show.
- Duck under to a takedown from Bobby Blaze.
- Saturn reverses and beats on Blaze.
- Kicks from Bobby Blaze.
- Saturn catches a kick and hits a dragon screw leg whip.
- Beat down from Saturn.
- Blaze stands up and sneaks in a low blow.
- Lariat from Blaze and repeated knees to the head.
- Cover for two from Blaze.
- Saturn comes back with an exploder suplex.
- Irish whip but Saturn holds on to Blaze's arm and slams him down shoulder first into the mat.
- And again.
- Arm bar from Saturn, but Blaze gets to the ropes.
- Saturn gets a hot shot as he goes to grab Blaze.
- Blaze up top, but Saturn catches him in the gargoyle-plex as he comes down.
- Saturn with a single leg takedown.
- Saturn with single leg takedown and then a arm spin over into the Rings of Saturn.
- Blaze taps.
- YOUR WINNER: Perry Saturn via submission following the Rings of Saturn.
- Good match although I wish they could have worked a bit longer.
- Fall Brawl preview. You will get sick of me typing those words. I got sick
of writing them down.
- We come back to Tenay and Hudson schilling Fall Brawl. Apparently, we're going to
here from ICP tonight.
- Match #2 La Parka vs. Hacksaw Jim Duggan
- La Parka posing on the chair.
- Here comes Mr. WCW Saturday Night. Aldo and Wade owe me for keeping this guy on my show.
- La Parka grabs the flag and basks in the USA chant.
- La Parka suckers Hacksaw into shaking hands and pops him.
- Duggan no sells everything and reverses a whip to the opposite corner.
- La Parka bounces out into a hip toss.
- Two lariats from Jim Duggan.
- La Parka rolls outside.
- La Parka back in, he comes back in with rights and lefts, but Hacksaw blocks them.
- Hacksaw with jabs.
- Parka back outside.
- Duggan catches La Parka as he comes back in.
- Irish whip from Duggan, but he dips his head and eats some boot.
- Kicks from La Parka and they start to trade blows.
- Snap mare from La Parka into a reverse chinlock.
- Duggan elbows out.
- Duggan off the ropes, but he runs into the kitchen sink (knee to the gut).
- La Parka up top, but Duggan's up so he just hops off and knocks Duggan down.
- La Parka back up top, but nobody's home for the big splash.
- Duggan skins the cat in the corner on La Parka.
- Parka off the ropes into a big scoop slam.
- Three Point Stance clothesline from Duggan.
- Old Glory Knee drop from Duggan.
- 1 . . .2 . . .3.
- YOUR WINNER: Hacksaw Jim Duggan via pinfall following the Old Glory Knee drop.
- Well that was short so I ain't complaining and the fans really do seem to like Hacksaw.
- Hey another Fall Brawl preview. Hope I get to see some more of those tonight.
- We come back to Mene Gene shilling the hotline.
- We get a replay of 4x4's entrance, and exit, match.
- Match #3 The No Limit Soldiers vs The First Family with Jimmy Hart in a six man
- BA, Swoll, and 4x4 come down first.
- Well I guess I get to call one more 4x4 match before he's officially gone. Lucky me.
- Hugh Morrus, Jerry Flynn and Brian Knobbs will be representing the first family.
- Armstrong and Knobbs will start things off.
- Knobbs powers BA into the corner.
- Whip to the opposite corner and an avalanche from Knobbs.
- Whip to the other corner, but BA gets the boots up.
- Jump elbow from BA.
- Flynn comes in and gets one and Armstrong knocks Morrus off of the apron with one.
- Swoll tags in and takes Knobbs down with a lariat.
- Thumb to the eye from Knobbs.
- Flynn tags in and they double team Swoll.
- Flynn with the *ahem* lightning kicks.
- Swoll ducks a jumping spinning heel kick and comes back with rights.
- Scoop slam from Swoll.
- Tag to 4x4 and Flynn begs off before tagging in Hugh Morrus.
- Morrus off the ropes, but gets knocked back on his own shoulder block.
- Rights having no effect.
- Another shoulder block attempt and with still the same effect.
- You know if I wanted to see Zeus in a match I would rent No Holds Barred.
- 4x4 off the ropes and leaps over Morrus, but he puts on the breaks to come back with a big splash.
- 4x4 slams Morrus . . . and again.
- Thumb to the eye from Morrus.
- Knobbs tries a cheap shot from behind, but with no effect.
- Morrus with a shot to the knee.
- They triple team 4x4 in the corner.
- Flynn tags in and hits the lightning feet.
- Knobbs back in and the beating continues.
- Morrus back in and he tags in Flynn who he whips into 4x4 so he can hit an enzuguiri.
- Knobbs sneaks in a splash.
- Morrus goes for one, but Swoll comes out of the corner and brick walls him down.
- Hot tog to Swoll and Armstrong.
- A beat down ensues.
- Russian leg sweep from Armstrong, but the ref is trying to get Swoll out of the corner so he doesn't make the count.
- The Barbarian sneaks in and hits a thumb to the eye on Armstrong. Reverse kick from Jerry Flynn.
- 1 . . .2 . . .3.
- YOUR WINNER: The First Family via pinfall following a reverse kick from Jerry Flynn.
- Well, that pretty much blew.
- Give me a Fall . . .give me a Brawl . . . give me a Preview. What's that spell? .
. .. . Low buyrate.
- We come back to Mean Gene talking about Berlyn and his match against Bagwell at some pay
per view coming up. I wish there were some commercials of when that thing is on and
how I could order it.
- Match #4 Barry Horowitz vs. Prince Iaukea
- Duck under from Iaukea, but Horowitz counters with a standing Peterson.
- Head scissor to escape from the Prince.
- Wrist lock to hammer lock from Horowitz.
- Iaukea with an escape too dumb to describe. Horowitz ends up on the outside.
- Horowitz comes back in and seems to be hurt.
- The ref checks it out and Horowitz shoves him into Iaukea.
- Headbutt from Horowitz.
- Knee lift for two from Horowitz.
- Horowitz with European uppercuts.
- Hard whip to the opposite corner from Horowitz.
- Horowitz follows up with a jawbreaker.
- Inverted tiger suplex from Horowitz.
- Cover for two.
- Iaukea flips out of the belly to back attempt and rolls Horowitz up for two.
- Iaukea comes back with a scoop slam.
- Back body drop from Iaukea.
- Samoan drop attempt, but Horowitz wiggles out.
- Horowitz going for a DDT, but Iaukea reverses with the Northern Lights Suplex.
- 1 . . .2 . . .3.
- YOUR WINNER: Prince Nackimackee via pinfall following the Northern
- Well Horowitz showed who the superior technician was in that match.
- We take a special look at Berlyn. Of course that special look was basically the
same promo we've been seeing for the last month.
- Come back to Tenay and Hudson talking about The Revolution and Benoit versus Sid at Fall
- We get some stills from the 12-man tag match this past Monday.
- Match #5 Mike Enos vs. Chris Benoit for the US Heavyweight Title
- Tie-up and the men bull each other around the ring.
- Enos gets Benoit in the corner and beats on him as the ref fights for the clean break.
- Enos choking Benoit with his boot in the corner.
- Enos plays to the crowd as Benoit pops up behind him.
- Knife edge chops from Benoit.
- Stiff lariat from Benoit.
- Benoit with a snap suplex.
- Benoit with a back elbow for two.
- Enos rolls outside and Benoit follows.
- Benoit sends Enos head first into the steel steps.
- They roll back in the ring.
- Benoit sends Enos into the corner, but eats elbow on the charge in.
- Enos comes out with a lariat.
- Benoit with a go behind on a body slam attempt and a shove into the ropes.
- Drop toe hold from Benoit.
- Benoit off the ropes and a drop kick to the head of Enos.
- Enos rolls outside as Benoit follows Enos pastes him with the belt.
- Enos rolls Benoit into the ring and throws in the belt.
- Enos comes in and Benoit slaps on the Crippler Crossface as soon as Enos touches him.
- Enos taps.
- YOUR WINNER: Chris Benoit via submission to the Crippler Crossface.
- That was a good match that once again could have used some more time. I really
wouldn't have complained if they dumped the NLS match and doubled the length of this one.
- Well how about that, another Fall Brawl Preview.
- We come back to stills of Vampiro Papa Shangoing some jobbers. I guess somebody
high up must have thought they were getting too much heat.
- The Insane Clown Posse is out with the mic. The basic gist of the interview is
that they are the most hated band in the world and that Vampiro is the most hated and
feared wrestler in WCW. So, it only makes sense for them to get together and kick
some butts. Not a bad interview short and pretty much to the point.
- Match #6 Norman Smiley vs. Disco Inferno
- Well this match should pretty much rule.
- Disco comes out looking Super Fly.
- Uh oh, he's added a boot slap to his dance routine.
- Disco grabs a mic and accuses Smiley of trying to imitate him.
- Disco says he just got off the phone with JJ Dillon and that the SMBU has been banned from the match.
- Disco is going to give Smiley a good old Brooklyn tushy kicking.
- Tie-up wrist lock from Disco, but Smiley reverses it, but Disco reverses that to a hammer lock that Smiley reverses to a head lock.
- Shoulder block from Smiley.
- Hip toss from Disco, but Smiley reverses it into one of his own.
- Smiley goes for the SMBU, but Disco stops it.
- Shoving match and a thumb to the eye from Disco.
- Disco with a beat down in the corner.
- Whip to the other corner.
- Disco eats some boot as he rushes in.
- Head butt from Smiley.
- Once again Disco breaks up the SMBU.
- Disco with a kick to the gut and a swinging neck breaker.
- Disco misses the axe-handle off the second rope.
- European uppercuts from Smiley.
- Disco reverses one into a back slide, but Smiley rolls through and hits a delayed butterfly suplex.
- SMBU, but Disco grabs Smiley's leg.
- Disco comes up with a kick to the gut.
- There's the Last Dance, but Smiley pushes Disco off.
- Disco off the ropes into the wind up slam.
- Smiley finally does the SMBU which the camera sort of pans away from.
- Stomps in the corner from Smiley.
- Disco with a double leg takedown and a cover.
- Feet on the ropes.
- 1 . . .2 . . .3.
- YOUR WINNER: Disco Inferno via pinfall.
- That was a really good match. Hopefully, Smiley will get away from jobbing though.
- Alright, an add for Cat Bo. I've taken up Tae Kwon Do, so now that commercial is even funnier now.
- Guess what I'm going to type right here. If you said Fall Brawl Preview then . . .
well nothing, but feel good about yourself.
- We come back to Mean Gene shilling the hotline yet again.
- Match #7 The Armstrongs vs Rey Misterio Jr. and Chavo Guerrero Jr.
- Chavo and Steve to start things off.
- Great series of wrist locks and reverses between Steve and Chavo.
- Chavo was coming out on top so Steve stops him with some punches.
- Chavo off the ropes with a flying cross body.
- Scott tags in and so does Rey.
- Scott shoves Misterio into the corner.
- He whips Rey to the other corner, but Rey flips over him.
- Rey goes for a springboard moonsault, but Scott catches him
- Rey wiggles out as Scott is show-boating.
- Rey with a head scissors take over.
- Steve comes in and Rey goes for a body scissors.
- Rey eats an inverted powerbomb for that.
- Scott picks up Rey and hits a gut buster.
- Steve tags in and gorilla slams Rey into another gut buster.
- Scott and Steve double teaming Rey while Chavo is arguing with the ref.
- Steve covers for two.
- Steve tries for an Irish whip, but Rey holds onto the ropes.
- Hard whip into the corner from Steve.
- Scott tags in and they toss Misterio into the corner.
- Rey into the opposite corner, but he floats over and hits the bronco buster.
- Steve and Chavo tag in.
- Chavo cleaning house.
- Springboard guillotine leg drop from Chavo.
- That's followed with a springboard moonsault from Rey.
- Misterio is sent outside.
- Tornado DDT from Chavo, but Scott breaks up the pin.
- Chavo and Scott tumble out.
- Misterio comes back in with a springboard hurricanrana.
- 1 . . .2 . . .3.
- YOUR WINNER: The Juniors via pinfall following a hurricanrana.
- Post match - Chavo is upset that Rey didn't have his back.
- Eddy comes out to smooth things over.
- That was a really good match.
- Mean Gene interviews Sid. From now on he will be Solomon Grundy.
"Solomon Grundy is millennium man." "Solomon Grundy beat Benoit for
belt." "Solomon Grundy is the ruler of the squirrels." You get the
- After Solomon Grundy finished his interview on quantum physics we got another Fall Brawl
- We come back to Tenay and Hudson talking about Hogan's recent history. We get
stills of the history of him, Sting, and Luger.
- Mean Gene shills Fall Brawl as we head into the main event.
- Match #8 Steven Regal and Dave Taylor vs. Dean Malenko and Shane Douglas
- Taylor and Malenko to start things off.
- Wrist lock from Malenko, but Taylor escapes.
- Drop toe hold from Malenko.
- Syracuse from Taylor into a hammer lock to a front chancery.
- European uppercuts from Taylor.
- Malenko catches the second one and goes for a back slide. Taylor escapes.
- Duck under and waist lock from Malenko.
- Taylor reaches down and grabs his leg.
- Malenko shoves him into the ropes.
- Taylor cartwheels around the monkey flip attempt.
- Head scissors takeover from Taylor.
- And another one.
- Whip from Dave Taylor. He catches the kick to the gut, but not the one to the back of the head.
- Douglas tags in.
- Malenko with a drop toe hold followed, by a Douglas elbow drop.
- Douglas with a whip and ducks the head. Taylor with a hammer blow to the back.
- Regal tags in.
- Regal and Douglas exchange a series of arm wringers and wrist locks.
- Forearm shots from Regal end that.
- Regal charges to the corner and gets a boot to the face.
- Neck snap from Douglas.
- Malenko tags in. Double back body drop.
- Atomic drop from Douglas. Malenko was going to come off the ropes, but Taylor got him with a knee to the back.
- Taylor in with European uppercuts.
- Taylor with a scoop slam.
- Regal in with boots and a snap mare.
- Standing surfboard from Regal.
- Malenko reverses, but Regal tags right before Malenko drills the belly to back.
- Taylor in with a variation on a crossface.
- Taylor with a whip to the corner, but nobody's home for the charge.
- Hot tag to Shane Douglas.
- Rights for Regal and Taylor.
- Powerslam for two from Douglas.
- Regal breaks up the Pittsburgh Plunge.
- Double arm DDT from Taylor for two.
- Douglas and Taylor roll outside.
- Regal and Malenko swap a series of near falls.
- Malenko rolls through into the Texas Cloverleaf.
- Regal taps.
- YOUR WINNER: The Revolution via submission to the Texas
- That was a really good match. I guess 'cause Douglas didn't have to work and get
tired and sweaty and stuff.
- Post match, the rest of the Revolution come down and rant to whoever they are going to be
facing at Fall Brawl.
- Benoit says that he'll outlast Sid.
- We get some more Fall Brawl Previews as we close.
- All in all a good show. Hopefully, this trend will continue with all of the WCW shows. See you next week.
- Have a good one!