WCW Worldwide - Saturday, 7/3/99
- One Year Ago: World Champion
Goldberg wins a squash in the main event. High Voltage
beat the Villanos, back when IV was healthy. Bobby Blaze
beat Tokyo Mangum (during Tokyo's "hanging with
Disco and Alex" days). Lenny Lane won a squash and
Marty Jannetty beat Vincent.
- Joining me, this week, is my buddy Mike. He's here to
make comments (so I won't have to!)
- Tony: "Everyone's talking about the Hummer."
- Mike: "Does Zybszko ever say anything that
has a point?"
- Back to Nitro, on June 21
- We watch thrilling coverage of Macho and friends
get out of the Hummer, and Nash chase after it.
- Mike again: "[Madusa] a hottie."
- On to Sid and Savage breaking up the Psi/Kidman
- Mike: "That was lame. And Sid's
running boot sucks."
- We show Sting making the 'save' and Nash
confronting him a little later, about being in
the Hummer the week before.
- Flashback to Nitro 6/14, with Sting popping out
of the Hummer to attack Rick Steiner
- Back to 6/21, and the Sid/Sting 'main event'. We
go right to the Savage run in...
- Mike, "The ref flew like a dart! Do they
teach that at the Power Plant?"
- They show Savage and Sid killing time on the mic
for some reason.
- But they don't show Sting joining DX. Booo.
- Mike: "Zybszko should be banned from
- Mene Gene talks to Dean Malenko.
- We FFWD, 'cause Dean didn't know about his match
with Flair then.
- "I Hate Rap" vs the No Limit Soldiers
- Back to Nitro, when Rey/Konnan were going for the
tag team titles against the Triad
- Mike: "That front facelock is putting ME to
sleep. Why are we showing restholds?"
- Nothing new here, so on to...
- Flair and Piper versus Bagwell and Malenko on Nitro
- Tony calls Buff "The Buffer" as they
head into the match.
- Mike "I bet that Piper wins with a foreign
object in his glove at BATB..."
- Buff manages to pull off the worst clothesline
Mike's ever seen...
- Well, only if we don't count Karl Malone.
- BATB Card, according to Mene Gene:
- Savage/Sid vs Sting/Nash
- No mention of the world title being on
the line, although they've said that at
- Konnan/Rey/Brad/Swoll vs I Hate Rap
(Gene: "Big Bad Bobby Duncum")
- DDP/Bam Bam (Gene: "the Jersey
Connection") vs Benoit/Saturn
- Tony and Larry hype the 2 matches tonight.
- Tony: "Young stars get to show their
- Larry: "This is where stars are made."
- The Gambler vs Scotty Riggs
- Mike "[Riggs] just needs the spray bottle,
the shades, and Sherri."
- Tenay, on Savage's Interviews:"I'm just
trying to put 2+2 together, listening to
- Hudson: "Good luck!"
- Lockup, armdrag and a bodyslam by Riggs.
- Riggs with the Greco-Roman stall.
- And more stall.
- Finally, a test of strength, but Gambler kicks
Riggs instead, and connects on a few punches
- Gambler with a whip and hiptoss.
- Gambler with a body slam, followed by a
clothesline, cover for 1.
- Gambler with a whip, reversed by Riggs, and
Gambler runs right into Riggs' dropkick
- Riggs batters Gambler into the corner, where he
chokes him with his boot.
- Riggs with a corner whip and a running hip smash.
- Ala Curt Hennig at recent house shows, Riggs does
a Rick Rude hipswivel, and points to the sky.
- Nice to see him acknowledge who he's
- Riggs with a fist drop.
- Mike: "I miss the American Males. Especially
- Riggs looks in the mirror, to set himself
perfectly up for a Gambler roll up. 2 count.
- A blind man could have seen that one coming.
- Riggs comes back, beats on Gambler, but misses a
dropkick when the Gambler holds the ropes.
- Gambler with a whip into a back elbow, 2 count.
- Reversals of a whip end up with another Riggs
- Riggs hits a...
- Mike: "Fame-sser!"
- Hudson: "ShowStopper!"
- Me: Rocker Dropper.
- Ref: Enough for a three count.
- Your Winner: Scotty Riggs
- Mene Gene talks to Booker T
- Booker T "WCW is the hottest thing going on
- I guess you can be really hot if you're
going down in flames
- Booker T "I want to be the Top Dog in
- But wouldn't that mean feuding with Rick
- Kaz Hayashi vs El Dandy
- Neither man gets an entrance. We see Kaz entering
the ring right as we come back.
- Hudson (as he did last week for the
Hayashi match) claims that the two were in
such a hurry to fight, they didn't want
to wait till the commercials were over.
- Didn't look like Kaz was wearing his
Glacier outfit. Hmm.
- Armdrag by Kaz to start things off
- Armbar by Kaz, but El Dandy cartwheels and flips
out of it.
- Yeow! We're both surprised to see Dandy
with that much agility.
- But then again, who are we to doubt El
- Kaz comes off the ropes, but ends right into an
El Dandy Armbar.
- Kaz keeps trying to flip out, but Dandy moves so
- Kaz eventually reverses into an armdrag and
- Kaz with an armbar, but El Dandy easily reversed.
- Kaz with a 2 hand push. Oooh.
- El Dandy with an open hand slap to the face.
- Kaz with one back.
- Tenay brings up Dandy's feared right hand.
- After a whip and a reversals, Kaz ends up getting
backdropped onto the apron and comes back with
the slingshot DDT he used last week.
- Dandy with a hard kick to the stomach, and gets a
- Shoulderblock by Dandy gets another 2.
- Dandy with a whipped, reversed, and Dandy pulls
off a very slow crucifix for 2.
- Both men up...and Dandy with the Right Hand of
- Kaz gets knocked flat to the mat after one punch.
- It's Butterbean vs Bart Gunn all over
- Kaz is whipped into the corner but moves out of
the way of a Dandy charge
- Kaz tries to charge in himself, but gets a foot
to the face.
- Kaz recovers and hits a 'rana on Dandy.
- Kaz tries to go to the top, but Dandy catches up
to him up there and pulls him down with a super
- Dandy goes to the top...and misses a senton.
- Kaz with a back breaker, to the top, and hits his
own Senton for the three count.
- Mike: "Weak finisher...He just hits him with
his back. It's like Hogan's legdrop."
- Your Winner: Kaz Hayashi
- Tony and Larry close with more thoughts about the Hummer.
- Zybszko "Who was driving the Hummer?"
- Mike "If I hear that one more time, I"m
going blow my brains out."
- Next (or this, given how late this is) week, it's going
be my two year mark of reporting for DDT Digest. If I get
time, I'll pull something out good...you'll just have to
wait to find out.