WCW Worldwide - Saturday, 4/2/99
- One Year Ago On Worldwide: Dave Taylor and Booker T win
squashes, with me pretty much convinced that we weren't
seeing Harlem Heat together any time soon. Yuji Nagata
beats nWo Japan's Tenzan (hey, what happened to THOSE
guys?) Disco Inferno beats Barry Horowitz with that
Stunner he wasn't allowed to use anymore and DDP beats
Saturn, with a Flock run in post match that comes
dangerously close to an angle. Goldberg says he's going
go through the whole nWo. (Hey, he really did!) Scott
Norton responds by saying Goldberg isn't going to start at
the top of the nWo, he's going start with Norton. (Gee,
that great self promotion is no doubt why he's leading
the Black and White.)
- Forget to mention this last week, but WWF Shotgun SN and
WCW Worldwide have been moved up to 7 and 8pm,
respectively, in the Chicago area. Best I can tell, it's
a ratings move. You know, if you didn't think wrestling
was hot, a show that features clips that are around 2
weeks old might being shown on prime time might prove
- I haven't heard this mentioned anyplace, but Bret Hart
will be on NBC's Later, this Thursday night. Most likely,
it was taped before he "quit."
- Back to Nitro
3/22, where Ric Flair and Rey Mysterio Jr. play the
- They cut out Rey stealing the number from El
- But they don't show Dillion and Flair fixing the
drawing either, so that wouldn't have made as
- We skip ahead to the match.
- Rey looked totally lost as what to do when Flair
fell face first. Not used to that in his matches,
- Larry defends Flair's actions
- Mene Gene with Bret Hart
- The Worldwide Universe is a funny place
- They mention the documentary, although without
mentioning its name or the WWF by name.
- Frustrated...no respect...title shots...blah blah
blah...you've heard it all before.
- Back to Nitro
3/22, where Scott Steiner and Chris Jericho wrestle
in the U.S. Title Tournament
- Spring Stampede Promo
- I like how that even though there's a huge bar fight in front of them, the dancers don't stop dancing.
- Back to Thunder 3/18 as Hennig and Hogan have a match, thanks to Prez Flair.
- Hogan seems like he doesn't even realize that
Horace is there, much less helped him win the
- Tony thinks the fans are getting behind Hogan,
because of what Flair is doing.
- Larry points out he's still in the nWo and he
hasn't really changed a bit.
- WCW Spring Stampede lineup.
- Rey Mysterio vs Kidman
- Konnan vs Disco Inferno
- Tony says a previously announced Hak/Raven match
is now off, for...
- Benoit/Malenko vs Raven/Saturn (announced as a
- Finals of the US Tournament
- Goldberg vs Nash. Huh? When did THAT happen?
- Bobby Duncum Jr. (w/bullrope) vs Kendall Windham (w/o one
- Yeeha, the battle of the second generation cowboy
wannabes. The world's been waiting for this one.
- Lockup, break.
- Lockup, Windham with a knee and a couple punches.
- Duncum with punches, slams Windham's head into
the turnbuckle and repeats.
- Duncum with a corner whip, and a clothesline on
- Duncum picks ups Windham, Duncum with a punch,
Windham with one of his own, followed by an eye
- Windham with a whip, and a left handed lariat to
take Duncum down.
- Windham and Duncum punch at each other, then
Duncum takes them both over in a weird spot.
- Duncum got on the bottom rope, and seemd
to want to suplex Windham out, but they
both kinda fell over.
- Duncum and Windham fight over the steps, but end
up just dropping them on the ground.
- Duncum with an eyepoke, but Windham responds with
a low blow.
- Windham rolls in, rolls out, chops Duncum, which
knocks him half way over the guardrail.
- Windham throws Duncum into the guardrail and body
slams him on the mat.
- Hudson makes some comment about Duncum and
Windham arguing week after week.
- After Windham fooled around for a little while,
Duncum with a chop, whip into the guardrail.
- Duncum takes the non-folding chair from the ring
announcer, hits Windham (weakly) and whip into
- Charles Robinson calls for the bell. No decision
is announced, so I'll just assume...
- Your Winner: No one, by Double
- Meanwhile, Duncum suplexes Windham into the ring.
- Windam with punches and throws Duncum throw the
- Duncum takes his bullrope and leaves.
- Well, if they have a rematch on Worldwide, does
that count as an angle? Would you care?
- Mene Gene with Raven
- Raven "Action, go Gene."
- Mene Gene "...Raven, who is consuming...H2O.
I bet you thought I was going say something
- Raven "Absolutely not, Gene. This is a family
wholesome show. It's G-rated, I'd never say
anything that would be determental to the little
kids out there."
- Raven "Afterwards, play a little cards,
- Raven "A shout out to my two friends, the
Daniels brother, Jack and Charley."
- Raven "[Saturn] does look awful good in a
dress, I got to say that."
- Gene "I could never say that."
- Raven "Ru Paul is a little jealous."
- Raven explains how Hak, Saturn and him went to
the same private high shcool, Hak and Raven being
rich and Saturn getting a scholarship. They fight
all the time, but get over it.
- Raven starts counting down the seconds left in the
spot, because he can't think of what to say.
- Raven on his friendship with Saturn "It's
like a marriage, it's got its ups and downs"
- Raven "Your best friend stays with you for
- Raven "What about me, what about Raven?"
- Basically, he doesn't know anymore why they're
teaming than we do, but we're all supposed to get
over it, I guess.
- Hmm...I remember people mentioning before that
Saturn would make a good Horseman...you don't
- Evan Courageous (w/new haircut) vs Kidman (w/o babe-attracting Cruiserweight Belt)
- Lockup, Courageous with a go behind, Kidman
counters into a wristlock.
- Courageous with an amrdrag takedown, cover for 2.
- Courageous with a wristlock on the mat, I think,
and floats over for a 1 count.
- Lockup, Courageous with a knee, punch, chop, whip,
misses a clothesline, tries to do a gutwrench
suplex or something, but totally blows it.
- Which causes Kidman to lose it, or something,
because he destroys Courageous with some stiff
chops to the back.
- Kidman just goes nuts on Courageous and stomps
him into the mat. Brutal.
- Courageous decides to get the heck out of the
ring, but with Kidman stomping him all the way,
he doesn't get far.
- Hmm...I remembering hearing something
about Kidman wrestling a little
"stiff" against Evan, this
might be it. FWIW, Charles Robinson
didn't do anything to stop it till it was
over, and the annoucers played it like
Kidman was showing his
- Kidman whips Courageous into the ropes, high
dropkick and a clothesline knocking Courageous
over the top rope and to the floor.
- Kidman knocks him into the guardrail, and then
slams his face on to the ring mat.
- Kidman comes back in, tries to go out, but gets
Stun Gunned by Courageous.
- Courageous comes in with a springboard cross body
block for 2.
- Courageous with a whip, spinning back elbow for a
- Courageous with a reverse chinlock, then picks up
Kidman and gets a jawbreaker
- Kidman with a cross corner whip, but missses a
- Courageous with kicks and punches, then whips
Kidman into the corner.
- Courageous powerslams Kidman as he bounces out. 2
- Courageous with a wristlock, snapmare, and into
- Couragous sort of lets go, but changes to a body
- Courageous misses an Asai moonsault.
- Kidman with a corner whip, hard clothesline/bulldog
on the rebound.
- Kidman tries for a vertical suplex, Courageous
with a floatover into a gutwrench powerbomb for
- Courageous with a corner whip, Kidman gets a boot
up and hits a Pedigree for 2.
- Kidman with a from slam, goes up top, but gets
crotched on the tope rope by Courageous.
- Courageous with a top rope 'rana for 2.
- Courageous tries for a powerbomb, you know what
- Kidman with the Shooting Star press for 3
- Your Winner: Kidman
- That's it for this week. Don't forget Daylight Savings
Time (doing this at 2 am, it just hit me. Booo.)