WCW Monday Nitro - Monday, 12/07/98
WCW Monday Nitro - Monday, 12/07/98
You'll put your eye out!
- Welcome to Nitro! Wade is off tonight.
- We are live from the Astrodome in Houston, TX. Tony says 31,110
fans are in attendence.
- Tony, Mike, and Larry are in the booth.
- Tony says the WCW Championship Committee has been meeting all day.
- Mike Tenay says Goldberg has been demanding a match with Bam Bam Bigelow.
- Tenay announced the committee will let him face Bigelow in a non-title match tonight.
- Larry says the champ is "worth his weight in Goldberg."
- We then see shots of earlier today as Wildcat Willie does his routine.
- Big Poppa Pump comes out and begins to attack Willie... okay...
- Steiner has Willie in the Steiner Recliner as the segment ends.
- The Hogan tribute re-airs, showing Hogan from his match versus Flair to
the beginning of the nWo to his retirement.
- Nitro Girls dance Vegas-style.
- Highlights from the Nash/Hall vs. Steiner/Horace match air.
- Scott Steiner comes out with the nWo ref.
- He grabs the mic.
- Steiner: "I've only heard of two things to come out of Texas: steers and queers (bleeped)."
- Steiner does his usual rant after that interesting comment.
- Steiner wants a standing ovation for Hogan.
- Steiner then asks the crowd to bow to him.
- There's a lot of "Hogan for Pres" signs in the crowd.
- Steiner wants Scott Hall again tonight.
- "Goldberg" chant goes on as the segment ends.
- The Nitro opener airs at 8:20
- Nitro Party Pack
- Nitro Girls
- Match 1: Kendall Windham vs. Diamond Dallas Page
- Our first match starts at 8:27
- Windham starts off with a scoop slam.
- They lock up and DDP pushes Windham down.
- The two exchange right hands.
- DDP lands a shoulderblock.
- DDP continues with a swinger neckbreaker.
- Windham gets the edge with a low blow.
- Windham stomps Page around.
- Windham lands a lariat to maintain control.
- Page gets up and lands punches to the gut.
- Page lands another lariat, then whips Windham to the corner.
- DDP lands the Diamond Cutter coming off the ropes.
- Page wins at 2:01.
- A profile of one of the Nitro Girls airs, covering her background and
interviewing her choreographer. What does this have to do with wrestling?
- Goldberg/Bigelow highlights air
- Match 2: Norman Smiley vs. Prince Iaukea
- Smiley dances in the ring to start.
- The two lockup, Iaukea getting in an elbow.
- Smiley slaps Prince in the face, then lands a shouldertackle.
- Smiley whips Prince in the corner, then lands a scoop slam.
- Smiley picks him Prince for a long moment in a double underhook, then
slams him down.
- Iaukea fights back with an elbow and rollup from the top.
- Smiley lands an elbow and dances again.
- Smiley grabs Iaukea foot, dances, then gets nailed by the other foot.
- Iaukea lands a Samoan Drop then a splash from the top.
- Prince covers, but Norman kicks out.
- Smiley applies what Tenay describes as a chicken wing hold from behind for
the submission win.
- Smiley wins at 2:59.
- Eddie Guerrero interview with Mean Gene
- An interview from Thunder airs.
- Eddie calls Gene "slow" and Rey Mysterio a "selfish turd."
- Eddie says Silver King will discipline Rey tonight.
- Silver King comes out, and he and Eddie speak to each other in Spanish as the segment ends.
- Match 3: Silver King vs. Rey Mysterio, Jr.
- Silver King quickly sends Rey down to begin.
- Rey lands a dropkick to take control
- Both take turns running against the ropes and spinning away.
- Rey sends Silver King out of the ring with headscissors.
- Rey puts Silver King on the apron, then gives him another dose of headscissors onto the floor.
- Back in, Silver King picks up Rey in mid-air and slams him down.
- Silver King lands a spinning powerbomb to continue.
- Silver King grabs Rey in the corner and lands another powerbomb.
- Silver King covers for two, then loses control by missing a kick in the corner.
- Rey pushes Silver King down, but misses flying headscissors.
- Rey gets back control by back dropping Silver King outside.
- Rey lands a great somersault to the outside on Silver King.
- Back in, Rey lands a bulldog from the top rope for the win at 3:54.
- Hour number two begins.
- Goldberg and the Executive Committee enter the arena.
- Nash confronts the group.
- He wants to know why Goldberg is fighting.
- Terry Taylor attempts to defend the decision.
- Nash says the match won't happen.
- Goldberg says he dreams about destroying Nash.
- WCW Road Report
- Match 4: Wrath vs. Renegade
- Wrath lands a shoulder to take control.
- Wrath continues with kicks and a lariat in the corner.
- Wrath lands a sidewalk slam then throws Renegade outside.
- Renegade gets in a few kicks.
- Wrath whips Renegade into the corner, then lands a belly-to-back suplex.
- Wrath punches and chokes Renegade across the apron.
- Wrath no-sells a few moves, then stops a handspring backelbow.
- Wrath lands a shoulderblock.
- Wrath executes the Meltdown for the win at 3:29.
- Roger Clemens is in attendence.
- Match 5: Chavo Guerrero, Jr. (w/ Pepe) and Disco Inferno vs. Stevie Ray and Horace
- Disco says he has a major announcement and calls out Konnan.
- Konnan says he doesn't know what the announcement is.
- Disco says Nash made him the newest member of the Wolfpac.
- Konnan walks away.
- Stevie Ray and Horace enter.
- Horace starts off on Chavo with kicks in the corner.
- Horace lands a lariat and hip toss.
- Chavo fights back with a dropkick.
- Chavo continues with a springboard bulldog.
- Disco is tagged in, landing an elbow.
- Stevie Ray is tagged in, landing a few slaps.
- Disco lands a swinger neckbreaker and an axehandle from the top.
- Stevie Ray lands a lariat and throws Disco outside.
- Horace nails Disco with his belt and throws him back in.
- Horace is tagged in, landing a backbreaker but misses an elbow.
- Chavo is tagged in, landing a dropkick and a boot to the face.
- Chavo lands the Tornado DDT on Horace, but Stevie Ray stops the pin.
- Disco runs in and chaos ensures.
- As the ref stops Chavo from getting into it, Stevie Ray and Horace combine on a Spike Piledriver.
- Stevie Ray pins Disco at 4:36.
- Kevin Nash walks out.
- Nash says Goldberg and Bigelow aren't fighting alone tonight.
- Nash says tonight will be a three-way dance.
- Nitro Girls
- Match 6: Glacier vs. Saturn
- The Cat and Sonny Onoo come out and grab a mic.
- Miller's ankle hurts, so he can't beat up Saturn, but Glacier will.
- Glacier lands a Cryonic kick.
- Glacier continues with kicks in the corner.
- Saturn lands a few punches but Glacier levels him with a front kick.
- Tilt-a-whirl slam by Glacier followed by more kicks.
- Glam continues with a slam, but misses a leg drop and an axehandle.
- Saturn takes advantage with an inverted atomic drop.
- Saturn continues with a crossbody and scoop slam.
- Saturn lands a flying elbow from the top.
- Onoo distracts the ref.
- Miller accidentally nails Glacier as the ref turns around.
- Scott Dickinson DQs Saturn at 4:25.
- Saturn beats on Glacier, then decides to take out his frustration with a DVD on the ref.
- New Wolfpac T-shirt ad airs.
- Match 7: Lex Luger vs. Emery Hale
- After two attempts, Luger flattens Hale with a shoulder.
- Luger lands a slam and a lariat, sending Hale outside.
- Hale rails Luger, then lands a lariat.
- Hale continues with a choke, backbreaker, and a leg drop from the top rope.
- Hale lands a scoop slam but misses a splash from the top.
- Luger lands two forearms, then the running elbow.
- Luger racks Hale for the win at 3:50.
- New Starrcade promo airs.
- Match 8: Chris Jericho (w/ Ralphus) vs. Bobby Duncum, Jr.
- Jericho grabs the mic and makes fun of Texas and cowboys.
- Jericho: "I'm the true hometown hero, y'all!"
- Dumcum runs out and quickly begins, landing a scoop slam.
- Jericho lands a boot, but is flattened by a shoulder.
- Duncum continues with a lariat.
- Jericho lands a belly-to-back suplex and a scoop slam.
- Duncum drops Jericho outside and lands a crossbody onto the floor.
- Duncum sends Jericho against the rails and tosses him back in.
- Jericho drops Duncum across the top rope, then lands a missile dropkick.
- Duncum lands a boot, followed by a bulldog and a lariat.
- Duncum continues with a elbow and a drop to the outside.
- Back in, Duncum slams Jericho and climbs the top turnbuckle.
- Jericho shakes the ropes, then climbs up and executes a superplex.
- Duncum briefly gets control with a knee.
- Jericho rolls up Duncum, and, with the aid of the top rope, gets the pin at 5:12.
- Hour number three begins.
- Match 9: Scott Putski vs. Giant
- With Putski's back turned, Giant picks up Scott and chokeslams him.
- Giant pins Putski for the win at 0:29.
- Giant grabs the mic.
- He calls Page's fans rednecks.
- He challenges Page to a match at Starrcade.
- Konnan is shown threatening the nWo ref as he gets his hands taped up.
- Chris Benoit and Dean Malenko (w/ Arn Anderson) vs. Kanyon and Raven
- Kanyon looks for Raven backstage.
- Raven refuses to come out, calling Kanyon "a geek."
- Kanyon mentions how Saturn, Page, and Piper all turned their back on him.
- Kanyon gives up, then walks out and blames his recent losses on Raven.
- He says he refuses to wrestle because it's two on one, or two and a half counting Anderson.
- Kanyon calls Arn too old and begins to walk away.
- Arn is in Kanyon's way, so Kanyon pushes him.
- Arn pulls out a crowbar!
- Kanyon runs inside the ring, where Benoit lands a dropkick.
- Benoit and Malenko beat on Kanyon as Arn makes his way in.
- Kanyon sees Arn and runs outside as the segment ends.
- Bischoff/Flair promo
- Gene, with Arn, Benoit, and Malenko in the ring, calls out Flair.
- Flair walks down the aisle with Mongo.
- Flair says he is excited to be in Houston, then struts.
- He tells Bischoff to get off his girlfriend and treadmill and listen to the Nature Boy.
- He says the dictatorship is about to end.
- He talks about the tradition of wrestling in Texas, mentioning the Funks, the Briscos, Dick Murdoch, and Dusty Rhodes among others.
- He calls Bischoff a jack-(bleeped).
- He says he will choke Bischoff and gouge his eyes.
- He looks around the ring for something to chop.
- He says he will chop Bischoff and squeeze his neck until his eyes pop out of his head and until Bischoff says "I respect you, Ric Flair!"
- Flair dances again. He looks absolutely crazy.
- He says he will take Bischoff's paycheck, his job, his girlfriend, his dignity, and the greatest sport in the world.
- He says that's why WCW is bigger than Bischoff will ever be.
- Flair looks intense as ever while he struts as this classic segment ends.
- (Yawn) Konnan video airs again.
- Match 10: WCW World Television Champ Konnan vs. Booker T
- Konnan does his routine on the mic.
- Booker enters.
- Heenan complains about having to make an appearance with Mean Gene.
- Konnan punches Booker T and lands a shoulder.
- Booker T fights back with a sidekick, forearm, and another sidekick.
- Konnan executes a lariat and dropkicks Booker T.
- The action heads outside, where Konnan sends Booker T into the rails.
- Back in, Konnan puts Booker into a really lame headlock.
- Booker T elbows out, but Konnan lands a bulldog.
- Booker T executes an axekick as Stevie Ray enters.
- Konnan slams Booker T down, but Booker T breakdances his way up.
- Booker lands a sidekick and sets up for a turnbuckle move as Stevie Ray
enters, nailing Konnan.
- The ref DQs Booker T, who yells at Stevie Ray.
- Booker T thinks about nailing Stevie Ray, but Stevie Ray says he should be nailing Konnan instead.
- Bruise Cruise promo
- Match 11: Scott Hall vs. Scott Steiner
- Hall grabs the mic.
- Hey yo. He tells Steiner, "don't sing it, bring it."
- Steiner walks out.
- The two trash talk as the nWo ref walks out, wrapped up like a mummy.
- Ref Mickey Jay pushes the nWo ref on the ground.
- Hall nails Steiner with punches, then executes a fallaway slam for two.
- Steiner gets up and flattens Hall.
- Steiner talks to the ref as Hall rolls him up for two.
- Stevie Ray, Vincent, and Horace come out to beat on Hall.
- Steiner chases after Mickey Jay.
- Konnan and Lex Luger come to make the save.
- The Giant runs in to retake control.
- Steiner puts Scott Hall in the Steiner Recleiner.
- DDP runs in, nailing the Giant with a chair.
- The nWo Black & White walks off.
- Gene calls out Bret Hart
- Hart puts his arm around Gene, who tells him to not get too friendly.
- Hart calls Page a coward for backing away from him.
- Hart says he knew it was going to be a good week from his cat, Smokey.
- Bret says everyone knows now he's proved himself.
- Gene plugs "Wrestling With Shadows" as the segment ends.
- Starrcade promo
- Match 12: Bam Bam Bigelow vs. WCW World Heavyweight Champ Goldberg
- Buffer does the intros.
- The title is not on the line, but the streak is.
- Bigelow runs in without music.
- Bam Bam was granted a wrestling license for this match only.
- Nash runs in, and he and Bam Bam go at it.
- Goldberg runs in, giving Clemens a high five.
- Nash and Goldberg go at it, then Bam Bam and Goldberg.
- Security breaks up the three way match.
- The three attempt to break through security to fight one another as we go.
Trey K. sends the following arena report:
I just got home from Houston and seeing the first Monday Nitro there.
Was also at the first Nitro in San Antonio as well as the first WCW event
in Houston [in a really long time] a little over a year ago.
D-Skillz sends the following arena report:
When playing the entrance musics of the wrestlers, NWO Wolfpack, Goldberg,
and the 4 Horsemen all got big pops. NWO Black and White was booed
Looks like the half of the Astrodome they were selling tickets in is pretty
much filled up. David Penzer annouced mid-way through the show there
were 31,000 people there.
Remember Scott Steiner's "doctor"? He has a new job now, ring crew
member. You know, one of those guys who sweeps the trash out of the
ring. Hrmmm... that might just be a promotion from what he was doing.
Penzer came out 15 minutes before going on the air to go through his deal
about coming over the barricade (no one was dumb or drunk enough tonight),
throwing stuff (ignored) and laser pointers (confiscated).
He introduced TeenWol--errr WildCat Willy. You know what's weird,
the cameramen are already out there and acting like they are taping stuff.
They didn't do that at the San Antonio Nitro. Here comes Scott Steiner,
this must be why they are taping it. [Sure enough in the first segment
they show WildCat getting beat up on.]
After the Saturn/Glacier match, Saturn gave the ref the Spicolli Driver
(aka Death Valley Driver). After the cameras went off the air, the
Nitro Girls were coming out to do a dance during the commercial.
The ref got up and jumped out of the ring to get out of their way as if
he was just taking a nap... OK, so maybe he was.
I'm not sure if he was seen on TV or not, but Curt Henning was in attendance.
Not sure if he was sitting at ringside but just before the Hall/Steiner
match, he and security walk by coming away from the ringside area.
When it was all over, Nash and Bam Bam left the ring. Goldberg stayed
behind, posed for the crowd and left. No dark matches, no nothing.
Oh well. Wasn't too bad ... always interesting to be there live and
see how different things are when you aren't watching from the comforts
of your living room.
BTW, Congrats to the Big 12 Champions, Texas A&M University.
I am sure you will get better recaps than this one, but I am just too tired
to write. The crowd was really excited, I mean this is wrestling at the
Astrodome!!! 31,000 people in attendance and the WCW had 30,000 go home
disappointed. I went to RAW last month at the Compaq Center also in Houston
and that show was 10 times better. The crowd was so bored that even Norman
Smiley got a HUGE pop. The crowd was dead during the Rey vs. Silver King
match. I'm sorry but if I see Glacier for more than 2 seconds that is too
long. Why couldn't the Giant totally squash him? I'm not just saying that
because Scott Putski is my favortie wrestler either. Chris Jericho made
a lot of people's night though. If WCW loses him, they are in a lot of
trouble. When did Disco Inferno and Chavo Jr. become partners? The crowd
was totally lost on that one. We were also lost to why was DDP and Lex
Luger, former World Champs fighting JOBBERS? But to top the night off, not
one, but two screw-endings to matches. The Scott Hall vs. Scott Steiner
match was highly anticipated, did you hear Scott's pop? And the Goldberg
vs. Bam Bam match had everyone ready to rumble!!! Even if GB and BB were
going to fight to a DQ, let Nash run in after GB has done some moves!!! I
usually look down upon throwing trash in the ring, but last night the WCW
deserved it. The 2 main events didn't even take place!!!! WCW really
deserves to be a distant #2 if they consider this kind of crap fan-friendly.
Nicolas Seafort sends the following arena report:
- The confiscation of a bouncing, oversized beach ball gets one of the biggest heel responses from the crowd.
- Half the arena is draped off and thus the AstroDome is very dark inside.
- Norman Smiley receives first real heat in his WCW career upon performing his "dance", whatever that was.
- My signs "Wolf 3:59" and "I Missed RAW For This?!" unfortunately do not get shown on television. A large "Hogan is Impotent" banner is confiscated by AstroDome security and destroyed.
- Big pop for Flair's mention of Paul Boesch