WCW Saturday Night - Saturday, 11/14/98
WCW Saturday Night - Saturday, 11/14/98
- Welcome to Saturday Night! Tonight's main event is Raven vs. Eddie
- When you hear Tony Schiavone announce that decent tickets are still
available for an WCW event, you can be assured the event is definitely not in
Charlotte, NC. Despite being third in line at an outlet when tickets went on
sale Friday, the $25 seats and half of the $20 seats were sold by the time I
got mine. This is for a Thunder, not a Nitro or pay-per-view. You'd
think with that kind of support WCW would have come here more than twice this
year, but perhaps the four fans who rushed the ring at the last Nitro to come
here had something to do with that.
- What do you know, two in a row: Mailbag!
- From Jon H. from Jonesville, NC:
I enjoy your WCW Saturday Night reports, but you missed reporting on the
single most exciting event of the evening: the People's Legdrop! It was the
first time I had seen Lane use it, and everything from his execution of the
move to the announcer's reaction to it had me in stitches. The only thing I
want for Christmas? A push for Lenny Lane (and maybe the US title for
- Scott Armstrong vs. Fit Finlay
- Finlay begins with a series of armbars and takeovers.
- Finlay throws Scott outside.
- Back in, Scott cradles Finlay for two.
- Finlay delivers a boot to retake control
- Scott changes strategy, deciding to go for Finlay's right leg.
- Finlay stops the assault by elbowing Scott across the apron.
- Finlay then hot shots Scott across the cable.
- Armstrong counters with a backdrop and a corner clothesline.
- Finlay picks up Armstrong in a Fireman's Carry, then delivers a forward
- Finley finishes off Armstrong with a Tombstone.
- Scott and Mike ramble.
- Hammer vs. Emory Hale
- Hale takes the early advantage, landing a shoulderblock.
- Emory knocks down Hammer with a headbutt and kick.
- Hammer fights back with a splash in the corner, followed by a suplex.
- Hammer rams Hale in the corner.
- Hale fires back with snake eyes and a scoop slam.
- Hale continues with a splash and a sidewalk slam.
- Hale flattens Hammer with a lariat.
- Hale tries an aerial move, but lands on the rope, where Hammer gives him a
- Hammer executes the Flashback for the win.
- The history of World War III airs again. Of course, they make sure to
include a shot of Steve Regal getting tossed out.
- Raven walks out with Kanyon
- Raven does his "What about me?" routine.
- The LWO walks out.
- Eddie Guerrero asks, "What about me?"
- Eddie talks about how Raven and DDP have the most interview time he's ever
- Tenay claims Eddie is "shooting from the hip."
- Raven says Eddie would get more mic time if he spoke better English.
- Eddie challenges Raven for a match tonight as the segment ends.
- Hotline plug
- Nitro highlights
- Norman Smiley vs. Prince Iaukea
- Iaukea starts off with a hiptoss and takeover.
- Prince follows up with a dropkick.
- Smiley delivers a loud slap to the head.
- Smiley picks up Iaukea in what appears initially to be a bridge suplex,
but leaves him hanging in the air, then powerbombs him to the mat.
- After landing a lariat, Smiley does a little dance.
- Smiley continues with a scoop slam.
- Iaukea executes a belly-to-back suplex, but Smiley thwarts his comeback
with a powerslam.
- Iaukea prevents Smiley from executing a superplex, then splashes him for
- This Week in WCW Motorsports
- Disco Inferno vs. WCW TV Champ Chris Jericho (w/ JPS)
- Jericho has his hair puffed up for his entrance.
- They lock up, exchanging standing switches.
- On the mat, Jericho lifts up Disco and rocks him up and down.
- Disco comes back with a couple lariats and a back elbow.
- Jericho responds with a suplex.
- Four minutes into the match, Penzer announces three minutes are remaining.
- Disco hurries up, landing an inverted atomic drop.
- Disco continues with a lariat and swinging neckbreaker.
- Disco misses an axehandle.
- Jericho gets up, but misses a Lionsault.
- Jericho gets back up and lands a release German suplex.
- With a minute remaing, Disco lands a boot and applies a sleeper.
- Disco tries a piledriver, but Jericho reverses it into the Liontamer.
- Penzer counts down the seconds remaining. Disco taps out with four
seconds to go.
- Mean Gene interviews Fit Finlay
- Gene congratulates Finlay on the win.
- Finlay won't be at WWIII because of a committment to New Japan Wrestling.
- Finlay briefly covers his wrestling background.
- Snickers On The Road Report
- Nitro highlights
- Johnny Swinger vs. Vincent
- Vincent grabs control with knees and slaps.
- Swinger lands a back elbow, but misses a follow-up.
- Vincent grabs Swinger's arm, yanks him down, and applies a cross
armbreaker for the win. That was quick.
- Scott Putski vs. Meng
- Meng slaps Putski and headbutts him to begin.
- Putski punches Meng, but Meng slaps back and bites Putski in the corner.
- Again Putski punches Meng, but Meng quickly kicks Scott in the gut.
- Meng lands a piledriver, but Putski stays in the match by keeping his leg
on the rope.
- Meng no-sells a lariat by Putski, but charges into the corner.
- Putski lands a flying clothesline, knocking Meng down.
- Meng gets up and no-sells the Polish Hammer.
- Meng applies the Tongan Death Grip for the win.
- Hotline plug. Gene has info on backstage politics.
- Alex Wright vs. Chavo Guerrero, Jr. (w/ Pepe)
- Alex takes down Chavo with a side headlock, but Chavo counters with
scissors, out of which Alex flips out.
- The same series of moves occurs, with roles reversed.
- Chavo applies another side headlock, but Wright lands a belly-to-back
suplex to get out.
- Chavo fires back with two dropkicks.
- Wright hot shots Chavo across the ropes.
- Wright lands a wild belly-to-belly.
- The action heads outside, where Wright sends Chavo against the rail and
steps in addition to a scoop slam on the mat.
- Back in, Chavo lands flying headscissors.
- Wright counters with an elbow, suplex, and backbreaker.
- Chavo stops an aerial move, then delivers a forearm in the corner.
- Chavo lands a springboard bulldog and mocks Wright's dance.
- Wright executes a jawbreaker, then clotheslines Chavo.
- Chavo front suplexes Wright from the top.
- Wright stops Chavo's aerial move, then lands a German suplex.
- After several pin attempts, Alex Wright tries to cradle Chavo, but Chavo
rolls through and pins Wright for the win.
- Afterwards, Wright grabs Pepe and bashes Chavo, knocking Pepe's head off.
- A nice Hall/Nash recap airs.
- Disorderly Conduct vs. Stevie Ray and Horace (w/ Vincent)
- Stevie Ray starts off against Mean Mike.
- Stevie scoop slams Mike.
- Stevie no-sells a few punches, then lands a sidekick.
- Horace is in, quickly missing a move that allows DC to tag.
- Tough Tom lands two arm drags before Horace throws him outside.
- Stevie Ray throws Tom against the rail and tosses him back in.
- Horace clotheslines Tom and tags Stevie Ray back in.
- Stevie Ray lands a sidewalk slam and tags Horace.
- Horace lands a suplex, but Tom manages to counter with a lariat.
- Stevie Ray is in, landing a clothesline.
- Stevie Ray tags Horace, who aids in a spike piledriver combo.
- Horace pins Tom for the win.
- Gene Mean talks with the Paragon of Virtue about Greenberg
- Jericho says a WWIII win is inevitable because of his vast fanbase.
- Jericho compliments Gene Mean's prowess on the mic.
- Jericho tells Greenberg to look out.
- Nitro highlights
- Raven (w/ Kanyon) vs. Eddie Guerrero
- Raven enters.
- Eddie enters without the LWO.
- Raven sits in the corner as the match begins.
- Eddie yells at him, then pummels him with kicks.
- Raven gets in a low blow, then chokes Eddie with a garment.
- Raven throws Eddie outside.
- Eddie is sent into the rails.
- Raven goes back in with a chair.
- Raven's drop toe hold sends Eddie crashing into the chair.
- Eddie mounts a comeback.
- Eddie's back elbow sends Raven on top of the chair.
- Eddie lays the chair on top of Raven, then lands a springboard headbutt.
- Eddie suplexes Raven, then climbs to the top turnbuckle for the
- Kanyon stops Eddie from executing the move.
- The ref calls for the bell, DQing Raven at 3:50.
- The LWO runs in.
- The group stares down Raven and Kanyon as we go.