WCW Worldwide - Saturday 5/16/98
- Dang, I missed Worldwide last week...I'm just sooooo sad.
- As you'll see on my picks (when I send them in, oops!),
I'm picking Benoit in the TV Title match. That's what my
heart says. My head says that somehow, some way, Benoit
will not be walking out of the building TV champion. Be
it Booker T interfernce, an upset, Finely losing the
title at a house show sometime before now, whatever, I
have that sinking feeling I get every month that he's not
gonna be champ. I swear, they're going make Benoit's
gimmick to be like the Susan Lucci of wrestling, known
for not winning when a title is on the line. And they're
gonna keep doing it till we don't care any more. And
then, they'll give him the title...
- In case you have nothing to do and need me to give you an
idea (a bad sign, if I've ever heard one) I saw "He
Got Game" today. Cool movie...but not one you wanna
bring the kids to. Without getting to explict, let me
say, when the colleges are trying to recruit the main
character, one of them offers him two "special
benefits" that wouldn't be appropriate for younger
- Enough of me, on with the show
- Konnan (w/Vincent) over Doc Dean by Tequila Sunrise
- Wait a minute...continuity alert. Konnan's
wearing the black and white nWo shirt and with
Vincent, who's on the other side. And yep, they
don't acknowledge it at all...
- Doc Dean clicks his heels together on the way to
- Tony's not sure if Hall will be on the PPV. If
he's not, there's gonna be a lot of mad people
come Sunday Night
- After knocking down Dean...Konnan mimics his
heel click :)
- Dean sold Konnan's 187 cradle DDT like he was
dead. Konnan put on the Tequila Sunrise anyway...
- And kept it on....for a while...
- Lee Marshall w/the WCW/nWo magazine and Lee Marshall
- They talk about Jericho's column in the magazine
- Jericho doesn't know what he's doing for
Slamboree, but he knows he'll be there
- Doesn't this whole PPV, short of
Savage/Hart, seem thrown together at the
last minute? I can think of five or six
matches that were just made this
week...shows how much the NBA-shifted
- Tony and Larry tell us the main event - Yuji vs
- Lex Luger over Rick Fuller by
Torture Rack Loaded
- Tony - "Who knows, Luger may be part of
Slamboree". See, that's a thing I like about
the WWF better. At the beginning of the PPV
cycle, the announcers give us a least a clue
about what's going ot be happening on the next
PPV. ONE DAY before the PPV, I get dubbed
announcers who have no idea what's going on...
- Luger takes soooo much time shaking hands with
the fans at ringside, we get treated to a break
before the match. Thanks a lot, Total Package...
- Back from the break, the fans start chanting
Luger. Lex looks confused (not used to getting
heat around here lately) but then finally happy.
- You know, all that stuff I said about liking
Fuller? Forget it, at least when he's facing
- Guess Luger didn't feel like lifting a jobber up
there today...oh well...
- Nitro Highlights from two weeks ago
- Slamboree ad - why is it "So Big" and "So
Important"? And WTH is Mongo doing in the
- John Nord over Julio Sanchez by figure four sleeper
- Nord comes to the ring, yelling that he's
undefeated. Nope, that's the other bald guy.
- In fact, Nord doesn't shut up about it, the whole
- Speaking of the match....ugh, this has been a
- Nord follows the Meng school of selling...
- Whatever happen to that Meng fellow,
anyway? He seemed like a nice, friendly
- Kick, punch, bodyslam, repeat if desired.
- Oooh, a Russian legsweep..
- Hey, whatever happened to that Brad
- What happened to any of the WCW
Armstrongs? They trying to get of their
contracts to get to place where there is
no curse? :)
- Odd, a figure four sleeper. Cool move, I'll give
it that. But, that's gonna be the only figure
four anyone's gonna be seeing south of Double J.
- Oh my god, talk about ironic. I'm typing this up,
Saturday Night, watching WWF Shotgun. The new ME
are facing the team of Steve Cornio and Julio
Sanchez. The same one, apparently! Give
the guy some credit, he's doing two jobs in one
- Savage vs Hart video package. And, thankfully, they
didn't BS about it being their first match.
- Marty Jannetty over Barry Horowitz by a flying fistdrop
- Wow, must have flipped to the WWF accidentally...
- They take forever to finnaly lock up...
- After every fricking move, Horowitz pats himself
on the back, until Jannetty does it to mock him.
- Horwitz acts like he has the emotional stabilties
of a two year old...echhhh
- A flying fistdrop actually works...wow
- Bad bad bad match.....
- Lee w/Goldberg
- About Slamboree - "I don't know who I'm
facing and I don't care"
- I'll resist the urge to rant about that for a
third time in this report
- Next week: TPE's in the house, Glacier's in the fridge,
Chavo's in Eddie's shirt and Bulldog??? Hmm, maybe he is
sticking around? I don't know and don't want to know
- Ultimo Dragon over Yuji Nagata (w/Sonny Onoo) by Dragon Sleeper
- Tony and Larry start talking about Onoo's martial
arts skill, as he used to be a fighter before he
took up managing or something. Line of the show,
from Larry "Onoo is what Eric thinks he
- Dragon's wearing his Black outfit...
- Dang, Dragon and Nagata are moving and wrestling
so fast compared to the other matches, it's like
I got fast forward on :) It's like they knew how
bad this show would be for me and decided to take
it upon themselves to save it :)
- And they're doing it....the Dragon headstand
actually fits in for once! Yuji backdrops Dragon
near the turbuckle, but Dragon just handstands.
Nagata, with his back to Dragon, is celebrating
knocking Dragon out of the ring and gets
dropkicked in the back. It looked good.
- And Dragon pulled out the handspring elbow into
- Dragon sets up for the Dragonsteiner, but Onoo
knocks him off, onto the apron
- Nagata tries to vertical suplex Dragon back into
the ring, but Dragon reverses it into the Dragon
- Nagata slips out, but Dragon kicks him and gets
him in the sleeper in the middle of the ring for
- Awesome match for Worldwide...