WCW Monday Nitro - Monday 02/09/98
Carlos A. sends in the following arena report:
- In response to the Bruise Cruise survey open to DDT Digest staff, we have only received one "hell yeah."
- Thanks to Alex S. who sent in an AWW HELL YEAHHH
- I'll let you all know that Chan and Charlie extend their "hell yeah's"
- What's wrong guys? Did Bill threaten your life?
- Random Question: Are there any readers out there in an unsigned band? Email Frank "Rastaman" Rector at email@example.com.
- Frank works with The Internet Music Association and specializes in free web listings
- He offers national exposure through CDs, tapes, copyrighting, bookings, cover art, bumper stickers, and digital photography just to name a few.
- If you're interested in more info, email the self-proclaimed "Rastaman"
- See you at work Frank!
- In a late note, check out the upcoming Dan's Supercolossal Wrestling Real Audio show at http://members.tripod.com/~DanRackley/index.html
- Sorry about the delay Dan, the email you sent almost a month ago about the site got lost in a pile of papers below my printer.
- If you do send email, PLEASE make sure that you don't make yourself look like an idiot.
- Someone out there sent an email this week asking why I did not give the answer to the trivia question.
- THERE WAS NO TRIVIA QUESTION LAST WEEK!!!
- Surprisingly last week's question of the week featuring "Who is the foxiest lady in all of wrestling?" received very few responses.
- The winner was Spice, although Liz did give her a tough race.
- The funniest nomination was contributed in 3rd place by "Big" Bill himself.....THE OLD LADY AT RINGSIDE IN KNOXVILLE!
- Sorry Bill, I had to do it
- Question of the Week: What would you say to Eric Bischoff or Vince McMahon if you ever met them?
- If you tuned in for the Olympics, too bad, you're going to see wrestling.
- Show opens with footage from last week of Hogan, Sting, and Savage
- WCW is live from El Paso, Texas at UTEP
- Hogan Interview
- Bischoff says that he follows Hollywood's rules.
- Hogan goes on and on about how the nWo lives and breathes by Hollywood's rules.
- Hogan is sick of the ga-ga about the nWo unwinding
- Hogan says that he his here to take care of family business as usual.
- Hogan challenges Savage.
- Savage appears DDP style in the crowd and says that after he puts on his rallin' clothes, which he has on, he will fight Hogan.
- Says that he will embarrass and expose Hogan and will face Sting at Superbrawl for the title.
- I seriously doubt that will happen.
- "Vince Makes Them"
- "Hollywood is The Godfather of Wrestling"
- Nitro Girls in sequin tops and black pants
- Is it just me or does the redhead look like Geri from the Spice Girls?
- Broadcast team minus Larry Zbyszko
- Tony doesn't know where he is.
- Talk about Hogan and Savage.
- Footage 2 weeks ago of Bulldog and Mongo, and Mongo's interview last week.
- Glacier vs Steve "Mongo" McMichael
- Tenay talks about the change in Glacier's style
- The only thing I like about McMichael besides his sunglasses is that he played for my favorite NFL team, Da Bears.
- Louie Spicoli with Larry's bags has joined the broadcast team. Says that he's curious about Larry because he's his friend.
- Mongo throws Glacier out of the ring and demonstrates the crane.
- Mongo wins with the tombstone which is now being referred to as the Mongo spike.
- Mortis arrives to pearl harbor Mongo
- Mongo is up and decks Vandenberg and gives Mortis the spike.
- Mongo: "That's how we take out the trash in Texas"
- I thought the trash was in Texas?
- Norman Smiley vs K-Dawg/with Vincent
- Vincent still can't get himself over in Texas with an "nWo Texas shirt"
- Louie is nuts. Kinda like a young Dusty, except that he doesn't slobber when he talks.
- K-Dawg gets a huge pop when he gives Smiley a vicious clothesline.
- K-Dawg is over b/c El Paso is near Mexico
- Front facelock into a DDT, very nice
- Spicoli says that Smiley is tough
- K-Dawg wins with the Tequila Sunrise in a very poor worked match
- Louie: "I know what happened, Larry had too many tequila sunrises last night"
- Tenay with Brad Dillon of GM Motorsports
- Nitro Girls in purrrrrrr leather
- Nick Patrick is in the ring and is being met by JJ Dillon to a round of boos
- Louie is still questioning the whereabouts of Larry
- JJ tells Nick that he is not assigned to the match
- Nick doesn't go to the highest bidder, yada yada yada
- JJ says he is going to exercise his authority. Louie: "That's a lie, JJ has never exercised a day in his life"
- WCW security escorts Patrick from the ring
- Yuji Nagata w/Sonny Onoo vs Disco Inferno
- Can Tony talk more about Hogan and Savage
- Excuse me while I shake my booty
- Sonny is discussing something with Disco and Yuji pearl harbors him
- Yugi goes for the Nagata Lock, but Disco is in the ropes
- Disco with his patented swinging neckbreacker
- "Sonny Sucks" chants
- You won't hear that in the WWF
- Well, maybe in the more graphic cities
- Yuji delivers some vicious suplexes and goes for the Nagata lock, but Sonny stops him
- Disco delivers the Chartbuster for the win
- It's about friggin' time
- La Parka runs in and lays out Disco and then takes out Nagata with the chair
- La Parka can entertain like a mug
- Promo for Luger and Savage at Superbrawl
- Not again
- I mean poor Savage has to carry Luger once again
- Tenay interviews Lex Luger
- no DQ at Superbrawl
- Luger is sick at his stomach because Hogan and Savage are making a match with each other.
- Luger is warning Hogan about his match with Sting
- Luger says that he beat Savage already and he'll beat him again in a no DQ
- The pyrotechnics for hour number 2 is 4 minutes early
- Eddie Guerrero/Chris Jericho vs Dean Malenko/Chavo Guerrero Jr
- Since we're in Texas Eddie is a face
- Man, Texas chicks are hot
- Tony: "Eddie vs nephew"
- Tenay referred to hour #1 as an eventful hour
- Oh, yeah, very eventful, Tenay
- Eddie and Chavo start out in a very fast paced match
- Jericho is trying to wrestle with the Championship belt on his waist
- "Jericho Sucks" chants
- Huge pop when Chavo tags in Dean Malenko
- Dean slaps on the Texas Cloverleaf until Eddie nails him from the top rope
- Eddie and Jericho double-team Malenko to give him a split
- Jericho misses the Lionsault and tags in Chavo to clean house
- Chavo is pushed off the top rope to allow Jericho to apply the Liontamer for the win
- Oh Biiiilllllll, another promo for the Bruise Cruise
- Subliminal (May 24-28 is the Bruise Cruise)
- Video clip of the heat within the Steiner Brothers
- Do you see the split coming tonight?
- El Dandy vs Air Juvy
- Man, Juvy rules
- Feed this kid some Ritalin
- El Dandy took a wicked fall as Juvy back body-dropped him from the apron to the floor
- It's air time for Juvy
- Vicious chops were received by both men in this bout
- Fans erupt as Juvy goes for the 450 for the win
- Jericho runs in on Juvy, but Juvy maintains his ground
- Jericho says that he's out to congratulate Juvy on his performance
- Juvy replies in the only way he knows how, en Espaņol
- Jericho will translate, Juvy wants a shot at the belt. Jericho says that Juvy is a one-hit wonder.
- Juvy: "Tengo mucho corazon"----I have much heart
- Juvy says that he will put up the mask for the belt at Superbrawl
- Promo for Hogan and Sting at Superbrawl
- Subliminal...May 24-28 is the Bruise Cruise
- Video Clip of Bill Goldberg
- "Frequent Flyer" Steven Regal vs Bill Goldberg
- Will Goldberg's running block effect Regal with all the "padding" there?
- I like Goldberg, the man can combine technical wrestling with power wrestling, and did it in a short time.
- "Goldberg" chants
- There's the takedown and the Jackhammer for the win.
- His mouth is busted open again
- That was the longest match Goldberg has been in to date that I know of.
- Nitro Girls
- Tony mentions that Superbrawl is sold out
- Tony also says that Nitro is big on college campuses
- Then when in Knoxville, why not go to Thompson Boling Arena on UT's campus? It seats 25,000 compared to the Civic Coliseum's 7,000.
- Chris Adams vs Louie Spicoli
- Flock arrives
- Not much to say about this match other than that Adams wins via DQ when Louie nails him with the haliburton.
- Larry runs in and chases out Spicoli
- Booker T Promo
- Ultimo Dragon vs Saturn
- Fast paced match
- Lodi Sign: "You wish you were like us"
- Sign: "Hey Raven, Flock you"
- Dragon goes for the Dragon Sleeper, but Saturn is in the ropes
- Dragon goes for the Dragon Sleeper again, but Saturn rolls it into an inside cradle for the win
- 3rd hour of Nitro
- Footage of DDP/Benoit from Thunder
- Raven vs Booker T
- Anybody know where Stevie Ray is? Email us
- Raven's speech about Benoit nursing his wounds.
- Says that the TV belt belongs to Saturn
- The flock runs in and begins to open a can until Booker takes control of the jobbers in the flock
- Raven begins to open his can and seems to be disturbed by "Raven Sucks" chants
- Raven kisses a Harlem Sidekick and then Booker kisses a DDT
- Saturn throws on the Rings of Saturn as Raven screams, "Feel our pain"
- Lodi's new sign: "We will Flock you"
- Went to a no contest I guess
- Raven's not too smart. All his matches are no-DQ, so if he had just waited for the match to start before the Flock ran in, he could have won the title
- Video of Savage as the ticking timebomb
- "Blunderwood" Hogan vs Savage
- Remember this, it's not the main event
- Savage lays out Hogan and then Easy E
- Sign: "Thunderlips is here"
- Should I even call this match?
- The only thing worth calling in this match is Miss Elizabeth
- Chants of "We want Sting"
- Finally, a "Hogan sucks" chant
- I think Macho just legit busted his face on the security rail...the face he made after hitting the rail made him look like a cartoon character
- Well, maybe not, but it was close
- Savage goes to the top and gives Hogan the elbow.
- Buff pulls the ref out and the rest of the men in black take out Savage.
- Hogan continues to beat Savage with the chair
- As they leave, Savage jumps Hogan again as we go to a commercial.
- Lex Luger for another speech
- Liz comes out to speak for Savage
- Savage runs in behind Luger and opens a can
- As Savage goes for the elbow, Sting runs in and stops him and opens his own crow, I mean, can on him.
- Scorpion Deathdrop as nWo members look on
- Sting and Luger standing there in the ring and it looks like they are teasing that Luger is going to Pearl Harbor Sting and turn heel.
- A net is dropped onto Sting/Luger/Savage and the nWo pounces them
- How pathetic is that...it was like watching the TV show Batman
- Nitro Girls for our entertainment
- Hey Bill, WCW is doing Thunder in Fairfax. Are you going? [Note from Bill: You shouldn't even need to ask...the WCW home page has Thunder at UVA in Charlottesville and Fairfax at a house show the next night, but I'd go by what they said on TV]
- Footage of Steiners vs Buff/Big Kev last week on Nitro
- The Outsiders vs The Steiner Brothers
- The Outsiders come out first as usual so they can entertain the crowd for the commercial break.
- It's about time the big mang and the bad guy were put back together
- Looks like Nash has been sweating under his arms
- Big reaction to the "Hey Yo" line
- Hall says that the trouble within the nWo is backstage...for some reason, that made legitimately Nash crack up
- Hall made them come back so he could say 4-Life phrase
- Finally some mention of 6-Pac
- I miss that guy
- Everything said about Syxx being a nice guy is legit. He bumped into me in the Hyatt and thanked me for the 6-pac sign I made for the show. I was without the sign when he said this. Cool, very cool
- The EinSteiners come out to a huge bark
- Tony mentions that Sting has suffered an injury
- Gee, what a way to build the match for the pay-per-view
- Everyone loves the bad guy
- How did Hall give Scott Steiner a chokeslam, he has no neck?
- Nash better do some crunches, Mr. Pop Top is beginning to take an effect.
- Nash teases a powerbomb and gives him an elbow
- Steiner still refuses to tag in Rick.
- Hall throws Scott into Rick and PeeWee Anderson counted the tag.
- As Hall goes for the edge, Rick hits the bulldog.
- Scott Steiner hugs his brother after teasing that he was pissed b/c he didn't get to win the match.
- What, you mean they get all 4 belts? What a gyp
- Well, it was a decent Nitro.
- Come on Eric, you have Hart, Flair, Benoit, DDP and you can't come up with something?
- Oh well, maybe next week
- Until then, this is Charlie signing out...
Some background info...the floor sold out in around 30 seconds and the Don Haskins Center arena seats sold out in around 3-4 days. Capacity is 12,000-ish but with the WCW stuff it was trimmed down I think to no more than 10,000 tops. I showed up around 3:30 and we got ourselves situated. Looking around I saw Kevin Nash in the back talking to one of the promoters and DAMM if he is not big. Then Bill Goldberg came out in warmups and of all things laid out on the ring. Real weird. They were working on the net that the nWo used,
spraypainting it still. Eh, its a odd gimmick but what the hell.
4:30, doors open; people start to stream in. 5:30 the announcer guy (tuxedo and all that) comes in and does the "WCW has a few rules speil"
blah, blah, blah. "Hey you can get on TV with a sign, you don't happen to have any of those?" A cheap ploy to get everyone to show their signs. We got most of the poorer tasting signs when people got to their seats and people were real nice about giving up some of their signs.
So ~5:45 they announce they have a match just for us (i.e. dark match). Chavo Guerrero Sr. vs Gentleman Criss Adams. And, as the saying goes, you do not lose in your hometown. Sigh, Chavo Sr. did not look good. Hell most of the wrestlers did not look "fit", a little on the skin fold side, but he who has not sinned shall cast the first stone, eh?
Nitro Girls come out after a horrible event with Wildcat Willie. God almighty, Wildcat Willie, what the hell is that? Anyway, the new Nitro Girl
gets introduced and ah, the miracles of science that have alowed such georgeous women to be born in our lifetime is something wonderful......
The rest is from memory so bear with me:
Eddie got a HUGE pop the entire night, people were chanting his name most of the night until his match with Jericho. You know, the two of them make a good tag-team. I know I am asking too much BUT I would like to see them together more often. The bit when eddie fell to the ground and hitting the cameraman did not look like a work. I was 2 feet away from it when it happened and it did not sound pretty let alone look nice. Oh, and one of my idols Dean Malenko wrestled. That ruled, too bad he was the whipping boy for most of the match.
Konnan vs Jobber #1: Man, the people in my section were just going off screaming everything. Back when Konnan was a Luchador in the Azteca wrestling promotion, he laid a strong groundwork of followers. They were in force tonight. Some nice moves but eh? It was not great.
Goldberg vs Lord Regal: Did I mention that Goldberg is a BIG MF? Damm that was a big boy. It was not a squash since by definition squashes take less than 60 seconds from start to finish. Goldberg and Regal went through I think all of Goldbergs moves but it was nice to watch from what I caught.
Glacier vs ?: Anyway...
Air Juvi vs Jobber #2: Juvi got a huge pop, even more when he talked to Jericho in Spanish. And Jericho knowing 10 languages (what?
French Canadian, Canadian English, American english, Spanish and Navajo Sign Language?) and being a what was it a bad vato? Translated for the linguistically challenged. I like the set up. Juvi made some nice moves.
Macho Man vs Hollywood Hogan: When savage kissed the barrier from the jump or what ever he was trying to do, it was another one of those
ooooh that sounded just as bad as it looked thing. The chair hits were nice and loud also. A young girl in the second row in one of my sections convinced a cameraman to give her Hogan's t-shirt. She made the comment that it smelled like BenGay.
Mr. ECW sellout Spicolli vs Jobber #3, we had been saving seats for "talent" all night long and we knew it was going to be for Raven and
his lackeys, we just did not know when they were going to show up. So most of my attention was taken up when the nest and et al showed up. Lodi gave us problems by holding up those signs, so most of the time I was holding people back while they were yelling various insults at him. When Booker T bitchslapped him that was nice.
Saturn vs Ultimo Dragon; cool match, Ultimo did that head stand on the top turnbluckle.
Some were along here one of the matches ended early, oh ya', Goldberg beat Regal with a two count. The ref hit the mat 2 times (or I only heard 2 slaps)
Sting does look like a really bad ballet dancer with that stupid one piece thing he is wearing.
La Parka rocks with that chair. I do not recall when he came in but still it rocked.
Wrath? With James Vandenburg on the run in with Mongo. Eh, what ever...
The Jumbotron did not really work. We would see things I assume were put in just before we went live, like things from last week's Nitro or Thunder. We would see Tenay and the Gang occasionally but more often than not there would be no sound. Bobby the Brain Heenan got a huge "WEASLE" chant when he came in, that was cool.