WCW Monday Nitro - Monday, 01/19/98
SidShoMel sends the following arena report:
- Sorry to all for the delay of this report. Someone who will remain
nameless was on my computer 'til 2:00 last night.
- I'll have to start off with some bad news. Chan "The Man's" computer
crashed Sunday so all info we had for our pre-show report was lost.
- a la Jericho, It will never happen again.
- This is the Nitro before Charlie's birthday. I turn 20 on Wednesday.
It's time to drop school and enter the WCW Power Plant before I get too old.
- Coming next week:
- E-mails received that we promised to post on this report.
- Brief synopsis of WCW's newcomers.
- New Format:
- Instead of random wrestling research, we will feature a wrestler
of the week.
- Next week will be Bill Goldberg
- 2 weeks from now, we will cover La Parka. If you have any info
or know where to get it, PLEASE let us know!
- Question of the Week: Who has the best ring entrance in the WCW, WWF, and
ECW? Music and style must be considered.
- This week's trivia: "Who was wrestling when the lawn dart incident
- Now, on to the show...
- We are LIVE from the Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Tony claims that there are over 25,000 in attendance.
- It's Nitro Girl time!!!
- The girls are festively decked out in tight black pants and silver
- Come to Charlie....
- Tony announces that Hogan will face the chokeslam in tonight's main event.
- Rick Martel over Eddie Guerrero with the Boston, er, Quebec Crab.
- Eddie has some cool music
- "Seinfeld fears Thunder"--ok
- "Hall 4:20"--leave the guy alone, he went to rehab
- "Yeah Baby"--I like that
- Martel gains the early advantage alongside "Eddie Sucks" chants
- Martel slaps on the Quebec Crab for the win
- Poor Eddie
- Tony/Larry/Iron Mike talk about the problems within the nWo, especially
between Hall and Nash
- Show footage of Luger vs Savage/Nash from Thunder
- I hear Hendrix music....it could only be Hogan
- Me and Matt can't believe that Hogan is on the same level of Jimi
Hendrix. How degrading.
- Someone make a sign: "Play some Skynyrd"
- Hogan: "I love this man"
- This is legitimate. Hogan and Bischoff bought a Lear jet
together. Bischoff is taking flying lessons in Florida and will soon have his
certificate. Credit wrestlingnews.com for this info.
- Hogan says that he is the glue that holds the wrestling industry
- Let's see, Hogan is a god, an icon, and a hero. Now he's glue?
- Bischoff presents Hogan with Sting's bat
- Hogan claims that the members of the nWo fall in line. Hogan is at
the top. Anyone who steps out of line, batter up!
- Claims that they all flew in on the nWo Lear jet.--whatever
- If you haven't figured out by now, Hogan is a fighting champ! LOL
- Says he'll beat Sting 1-2-3 like last time.
- Hogan says that the nWo is 4-Life and that he's just Too Sweet
- This may be degrading to Hall and Nash, but they must remember:
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"
- I wish Hogan would shut up
- Chris Benoit over Marty Jannetty with the Crippler Crossface
- Calm down Matt...I can hear you 4.5 miles away
- Fast paced match with many stiff chops by Benoit
- Flock arrives at ringside and Benoit slaps on the crossface
- Matt is still trying to learn this hold
- Members of flock jump Benoit, but Benoit opens a can on them.
- Raven and Benoit face-to-face until Saturn takes out Benoit
- Jannetty makes the save
- Lodi jumps in with his sign
- Benoit greets Lodi with a suplex and a diving headbutt
- Ernest Miller over Jerry Flynn with the spin kick off the top rope
- The names of these guys will tell you the quality of this match up
- The ankle lock works for Ken Shamrock, why not Jerry Flynn?
- The fans read my mind..."Boring, boring,....."
- The Cat gives his spinning kick off the top rope
- What do you call that Tenay? The pineapple mamacita spin kick?
- Nitro girl time on Bourbon Street!
- The girls are wearing the same black pants and blue/purple sequin
- They're twirling towels too. Woohoo!
- The Bad Guy comes out to the groovy nWo music
- This guy goes through toothpicks like I go through girls
- Fist pump time for Chan, Charlie, Matt, and all the other bad guy
- Survey Time.........another one for the good guys
- Scott chats with Larry
- Tells the truth about Larry's career
- AWA champ while Larry's father-in-law was the owner, then AWA folds
- Larry teases a fight as we go to commercial
- Scott Steiner over K-Dawg and Buff with the Screwdriver
- Buff rules, need I say more
- Scott: "Largest arms in the world"...he fails to note that he has the
shortest neck in the world
- Tony talks of dissention in the Steiners
- A lot of posing from the two
- Typical Steiner match over the past month...
- Suplexes, forearm blows, shoving a ref, and no Rick
- Who does the job? None other than K-Dawg
- Rick and Scott go face-to-face after the match and then leave
- Tony/Tenay/Heenan talk about Giant and Hogan on Thunder
- Mean Gene interviews THE CHOKESLAM!!!, I mean The Giant
- How ironic, they show the Giant and then a closeup of a woman's
- Hogan and Nash enter
- Nash teases the Giant
- Savage tries to sneak in on Nash, Hogan slaps Savage
- Savage shoves Hogan into Nash into the Giant
- Hogan hits Giant with the bat and Sting rushes the ring giving Hogan
a Scorpion Death Drop. Then Sting yells in the Giant's ear to fire him up
- Nitro Girls in silver pants and tops.
- Spice got a haircut and looks even better
- Booker T over Mortis with the Harlem Hangover
- I saw Mortis at the Hyatt in Knoxville, TN after a show once. He
looks like a pimp.
- Slow paced match with many armbars and a full nelson
- Break Dancing time.
- Tag Team: Booker T and Flash Funk
- Mortis goes for top rope frankensteiner and Booker T turns it into a
vicious powerbomb. Looked like Mortis took a bad bump.
- Booker T hits the Harlem Hangover
- Wrath runs in and gives Booker the Death Penalty
- Martel runs in again to make the save
- Asks for a title shot at Souled Out and Booker obliges
- Gene and the Nature Boy
- I can hear Matt 4.5 miles away, Chan 9 miles away, and my dad down
the hall going "Whoooooooooooooooooooooooo"
- Ric lays down and says, "Bret Hart, Scorpion this"
- Same interview seen the past few weeks
- Footage from last week of Jericho punking Rey Mysterio
- Jericho over Air Juvy with the liontamer
- Evenly matched
- Jericho shakes Juvy's hand
- Juvy begins with the early advantage, but the tides turn
- Juvy attempts a dropkick, but misses and soars through the ropes to
- Jericho gives him a powerbomb and then the liontamer.
- Jericho says that he didn't realize that Juvy was tapping out, so he
apologizes. Come on Jericho, Juvy no habla ingles
- Rey runs in teams with Juvy to take out Jericho
- Luger over Hall via DQ
- Heenan, "There's a bad man" ala Shaft
- I've seen this match at 2 house shows and 1 PPV
- Some guy just racked his friend. I did that to a girlfriend once and
almost took her head off in a ceiling fan. She's an ex now, so who cares! :-)
- Hall kicks Luger in the jimmy...Heenan, "That's a veteran move" LOL
- Many armbars and atomic drops
- Savage runs in to give Hall the DQ
- They punk Luger, Larry runs in and gets punked. Hall rips Larry's
shirt off and slaps him until Luger runs'em out with a chair.
- What's the deal with Hall jobbing? What a waste of $900,000 EasyE!
- Giant over Hogan with the CHOKESLAM
- Buffer to introduce the match
- Wouldn't it be funny if instead of saying "Let's Get Ready to
Rumble," he were to say "Are You Ready? Bow to the Master. BREAK IT DOWN!!!"
- Cut to Raw
- Michaels puts marshmallows and a hotdog on a stick to resemble a
- HBK stuffs a salami in his pants and begins to rub it
- Easy E says that Hogan can't participate due to a neck injury, but
Giant slams Hogan into the ring.
- Big Kev comes to ringside
- Hogan is getting punked
- Kev distracts Giant allowing Hogan to hit him.
- Hogan bodyslams the Giant. That was cool.
- Hogan gives Giant the Leg Drop of Doom and Savage climbs the ropes.
Anderson sees this and stops the count.
- Giant then gives Hogan the chokeslam for the win.
- Giant goes for Savage until Kev attacks. Savage enters the ring and
Luger goes for Savage. Nash and Luger begin to brawl. Luger and Giant being
stomped until Sting drops "27 stories" into the stands and rushes the ring.
- Sting is face-to-face with Hogan. He decks Hogan, Buff, Norton,
Vince, Macho, Norton and Buff again.
- Giant punks Hall as we fade to black and the replay.
- This was a pretty good Nitro.
- Once again, sorry for the delay. It will never, ever, happen again.
- Chan will be with us next week.
- Trivia Answer: Flair/Benoit/McMichael vs Savage/Sting/Luger
Ethan Allen sends the following arena report:
- We got to our seats around 6:55, so I don't know if there were any dark matches before the show. I heard there was one between Louie Spiccolli and Hacksaw Duggan. If so, I'm kinda glad I stopped for food...
- Biggest pops of the night were for Booker T, Benoit, and Sting
- Best sign with a Mardi Gras theme: "Kimberly, show your tits" (During Mardi Gras in New Orleans, it is a tradition for women to flash for Mardi Gras beads, in case you didn't know)
- When Sting came down from the rafters, it was TOTALLY unexpected, since there are no visible catwalks in the Superdome. I even looked up there after he rushed the ring the first time, and thought there was no way they could drop him from there. Even after the show ended, we all looked up there and STILL couldn't figure out where the little bugger was hiding.
- After the cameras went off, the Giant beat up on Hall some more. Then Hogan came out and challenged the three of them to a match vs. any three of him, Savage, Konnan, and Bagwell. Eventually, it got around to a 4 on 3 tag match, with Hogan announcing "We'll show them that we can kick your ass fair and square!"
- The Giant agreed too the handicap match only "If Bischoff cheerleads." He did, and got some chants going during the match. But from where we were (2nd deck), "Buff's the Stuff" and "Hogan's the Champ" sounded more like "Buff still sucks" and "Hogan's a Chump", respectively.
- Hogan and Sting started the match, with Sting dominating. Eventually, the nWo started winning when it was Luger vs. Savage, before the Giant came in and cleaned house.
- Early in the match, it was actually WCW who was doing more rulebreaking, with doubleteams and such.
- Every time an nWo person would come in the ring to doubleteam Luger, the Giant would literally chase them out of the ring. Pretty funny.
- The match ended when Konnan disappeatred outside the ring somewhere, and Bagwell was chokeslammed, Savage racked, and Hogan put in the Scorpion Deathlock, all at the same time. Hogan was the legal man, and he tapped out.
- This was definitely the best match of the night, especially when you consider that Hogan and the Giant wrestled two matches back to back.
- If you count Hogan getting a Scorpion Deathdrop from Sting during the interview, he actually wrestled twice in one night and jobbed three times in one night. That's gotta be some sort of record, huh? He usually doesn't job 3 times in one decade, let alone one night.
- My name is Ethan and I'm a 21 year-old student at LSU. I attended the show with my girlfriend, Kassie. Our seats were in plaza (next above the floor) and we had a good view. We got there at about 6:00 for a 6:30 start. So let the games begin! There is a group of ten drunks right near us. But there funny drunks so that makes it bearable.
- Penzer comes to the ring and says don't throw stuff.
- We are treated to a dark match! Jackass Jim Duggan v. Louie Spiccoli
- There are chants of USA - Okay, now which one is not American?
- Spiccoli wears a Syxxpac shirt inside out!
- Duggan with the Knee Drop, 1-2-3.
- Nitro Girls come out and Kimberly introduces each one. Yowzah!
- The bottom of the ring (where it says Nitro) glows red in the dark.
- Announcers come out. Larry chants are deafening.
- Guerrero v. Martel
- Drunks start a "Deport Eddie" chant. Deport to where, El Paso? Funny none the less.
- Benoit v. Jannetty
- Benoit gets a huge pop.
- Appearance of Raven allows to to show my poster - "Quote the Raven...Wrestle More!"
- Cat v. Flynn
- Nitro Girls come out throwing shirts, just not theirs. Damn!
- I am walking in camera view with my "Hogan Fears my Chihuahua" sign. Don't know if it made it on TV.
- Hall comes out. Survey...Uh...WCW?
- Steiners v. nWo
- Just noticed there a few of NOPD's finest here tonight
- The Giant comes out for his interview. When he left, the Giant shook hands with people on both sides of the aisle...at the same time!
- Mortis v. Booker T.
- Kassie is genuinely frightened by Mortis.
- I parade with my signs again. Got ice thrown at me - decide to sit down.
- Flair interview
- The drunks start a "cameraman sucks" chant because he won't put us on TV.
- Jericho v. Juvi
- Bet Tenay had a blast with this one. "Double arm under hook leg
sweeping whip attack! Sensational!"
- Luger v. Hall
- I stood up and did my "Scott Hall Finger Point" much to the delight of surrrounding onlookers. I was egged on to do crotch chops but respectfully declined.
- The commotion in the stands was a near-fight. The guys were drunk enough to try and start something, but sober enough not to want to spend a night in the New Orleans jail. Wise decision!
- Giant v. Hogan
- Side note. I saw the end of the replay when I got home. My "Hogan/Chihuahua" sign is clearly visible in the big crowd shot. Look center left.
- After Nitro is off, the nWo watches Razor Ram... Hall get his arse kicked from the ramp.
- The pulsing noise begins and Stings greets the crowd with crotch chops and Stinger yells for all.
- We are then treated to another match. Hogan/Buff/Konnan/Savage challenge Sting/Giant/Luger.
- The contest went as would be expected, considering all of the fine mat technicans in the ring. (humor) One thing to note was during the "Hogan Sucks" chant, Bischoff had the mike and repeated "Stinger Sucks, Stinger Sucks...". The last thing Bischoff said and I know he said this because the crowd began to chant it, Bischoff chanted once "HOGAN'S A BITCH." I don't know why but this is what he said. Anyhow, the match ended with chokeslams for Konnan, Buff and Eazy-E, Svage is racked, and Hogan in the Sharpsho...Scorpion Deathlock.
- All in all the show was great, and the crowd was surprisingly well-behaved. Signs of the Night:
- Hogan prefers Little Boys
- Bring out the Midgets
- The Giant ate my first-born.