WCW Saturday Night - Saturday, 10/25/97
WCW Saturday Night - Saturday, 10/25/97
Ben J. couldn't do the report this week, so Concept19, one of my regular readers, is filling in for him. - Bill
- We are one day away from Halloween Havoc as the show opens.
- Disco Inferno pins Barry Horowitz
- Horowitz, the former WWF jobber to the stars (JTTS), makes his WCW debut. He was best known for patting himself on the back before each match.
- First match in WCW and already a title shot!
- Horowitz looks very good tonight, smooth technique.
- Dusty "He pats himself on the back before each match because he spend so much time laying down looking up at the lights"
- Disco seems to be looking over his shoulder the whole match I'm expecting to see Jackie soon.
- Disco wins with a neck breaker and here comes Jackie at ringside.
- Disco is actually challenging Jackie into the ring...not too bright is he?
- Jacqueline gives Disco a first class beating before he escapes with the belt.
- Dean Malenko over Mike Rapada with Texas Cloverleaf
- Dusty is sporting the cue ball look because he has shaved his
- Rapada provides no offense in this match but I'm impressed that he
is able to repeatedly kick out of three consecutive suplexes
- The Ravens Nest arrives in the front row Raven, Saturn,
Kidman, Stevie Richards and Sick Boy.
- Malenko actually looks bored. Probably wondering why the number
one ranked wrestler in the world has to face Mike Rapada on
National T.V. while Horowitz gets a title match.
- Rapada doesn't attempt a single cover the entire match and starts
tapping before the Cloverleaf is put on.
- OH, NO, they're going to show this Raven Crap again. (Note to WCW: Show this
again...NEVERMORE) It makes less sense the second time.
- Ray Traylor over Scott Norton
- This is a rematch from Monday Nitro
- Traylor need a gimmick how about the BIG BOSS...hmm... never mind.
- These guys move soooo sloooww.
- This match ends mercifully with a Bubba Side slam or is it a Traylor
- Syxx, Vincent, Hennig, Konan, and Norton attack Traylor as we cut
to a commercial.
- Scheme Gene says he now knows the person who Debra has chosen for
a partner (he must have read Scoops). For those who can't wait for
the next 18 hours call 1-900-909-9900.
- Bill Goldberg pins Mike Anthony in a squash
- This match was so quick they never said his opponent's name until
- Goldberg's finishing move is now called the Jackhammer.
- Mean Gene interview with Disco Inferno
- Disco "I thought this whole match was a joke!" Personally, I thought it was funny.
- Replay of Mike Tenay's Lucha libre report on Rey Mysterio Jr.
- Ultimo Dragon defeats Silver King with the sleeper
- Dusty talks about Zybysko's history as a rulebreaker I fully expect to
wearing Black and White by Monday Nitro.
- I seem to remember him with Nick Bockwinkel and a
pair of Nunchucks a few years back.
- Silver King must not scout his opponents very well. Even I know
not to sling the Dragon into the turnbuckle early in a match
unless you want a series of kicks.
- Silver King holds his own against the Dragon including an over
the top rope flying body press to the outside floor.
- Dragon Sleeper on Silver king and Sonny Ono comes out. Yugi Nagata
Dragon from behind and applies the Nagata Lock
as we break into another commercial.
- Fit Findlay over Barry Houston
- It seems both Findlay and Regal spent their time recovering from the parking lot brawl in the kitchen.
- This match bores even the referee.
- Dusty and Tony spend the time talking about upcoming events and I'm sure ratings are dropping all over the country.
- Finley wins with a Half Nelson.
- Hennig is interviewed and he yammers on about himself and Flair for four minutes.
- Juventud Guerrera, Super Calo, and Lizmark Jr. defeat La Parka, Psychosis, and El Dandy in a six man Lucha Libre Match
- La Parka enters with his trademark steel chair. His team shows great teamwork including a three way slingshot suplex on Lizmark Jr.
- This was fast paced. I sure hope Traylor and Norton are watching.
- Tony and Dusty seem to have given up and spend the rest of the
match talking about DDP vs Savage.
- Each person does their over the top rope move to the outside, as the
fight outside, El Dandy taps out to Super Calo with a leg lock.
- La Parka clears the ring with the chair as we cut to another commercial
- Curt Hennig over Jim Powers by pinfall
- Hennig comes out looking over his shoulder. Hmm...another run in???
- Power's oversells every move by Hennig. He looks as if each punch
is killing him.
- Hennig wins via fishermen suplex. Tony calls it the "Hennigplex". How
- Here comes Flair!!! There goes Hennig!!!
- Flair grabs the mic and talks about his nine year old son idolizing Mongo and saying Hennig should act like a man.
- Main Event: Giant-vs-Konan
- Somehow, I don't think the tequila sunrise is going to work in this match.
- This match will not make the Konan highlight reel.
- Konan actually attempts to choke the Giant!?!
- Vincent provides a distraction to the Giant and the ref while Konan
steals the timekeepers bell.
- Konan nails the Giant with the bell and goes for the cover. The Giant
kicks out and seconds later chokeslams him.
- Here come the troops: Norton, Syxx, Vincent attack the Giant and making
the save comes Rey Mysterio Jr.!?!
- Great move as Norton catches Rey in mid air and uses him to throw at the Giant. The Giant catches him and throws him back at
- The show ends as Rey and Giant clear the ring